Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to reinstall windows, due to a major virus mess, but I don't have my disc, I'm running windows XP.

So I'm planning to buy the OEM version since...well I don't think they're selling anything else.

I'm backing up some stuff and want to just start over clean, with the backed up data, so I guess I need to buy windows xp, right?
Basically, I'm backing up my documents folder, and a couple of other programs. I need to just transfer it to the new...whatever.

Will everything work the way I'm trying to do this?
Am I going to experience any problems with OEM?
and do I have a different option of doing this, starting over clean, as if on a new computer and just transferring the backed up data(from external hard drive) to the new thing.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Hello and Welcome to TSF,

Yes backup your data and get an xp cd for the pc.

If you need an xp window cd for pc, check on ebay, you can get an xp sp3 cd now.

If you need any help with the installation let us know when u get an xp windows cd.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Don't buy anything online if your computer is infected, you don't want to input any login, password or personal information on an infected computer. Safe mode won't protect you, on the contrary it disables security programs and give full admin access on any application you may run. It's better to use an uninfected computer for all you have to do online.

Also, as Chemist stated in your other thread you should follow these instructions when asking for malware/virus help :
http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50...-posting-for-malware-removal-help-305963.html
The infection may not be as serious as you think, if you can afford to wait 5-6 days (the time the analysts take to answer requests for malware removal, provided all the required logs are provided as instructed) you may find you don't have to reinstall at all.
Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50...-posting-for-malware-removal-help-305963.html

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post them in a new thread, as this one shall be closed.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

Please note that the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum is extremely busy, and it may take a while to receive a reply.
If you still want to reinstall don't forget to export your bookmarks in IE or Firefox and your mails/address book if you use outlook.

If what you had previously was a retail installation of Windows XP (you bought the retail XP CD and installed it yourself) and if you still have your product key (usually it's on a sticker on the computer box) then you can borrow a friend's XP install CD that matches your licence (XP Home SP2 for instance) and reinstall for free. You pay for the licence, not for the CD.

If your computer is some brand computer that came with XP preinstalled you can usually order the recovery CD for a very small fee on the manufacturer's website. What's the brand and exact model of the computer ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I were to buy sp3 would I need the update or the full version?

This computer I'm using, was bought and assembled by my neighbor out of separate parts, 5 years ago, when I was totally clueless about computers and he didn't bother to explain anything. Just basically gave the computer to me, with some spare parts, and installation cds for various software, and held his hand out for money. Everything was done & ready to use.

I'm almost certain he either used his cd, or bought one, installed and took it, thinking I'll have no clue.
And I didn't for a while, didn't have a clue about anything. Eventually I found out he was storing a bunch of his crap on my computer since he went ahead and set up a network connection...

Stupid IT analysts taking advantage of 10 year old kids and their equally (if not more) stupid trusty parents...

So anyways, I'll still try to buy sp3 cheap and reinstall, it's about time to clean up.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I would buy the full version xp sp3, a suggestion here.

Also be 100% sure to follow the advice of "Justpassingby" I strongly urge you
to follow the instructions there precisely please.

Yes dont buy anything being on that pc, also to note here you should probably disconnect it from the internet immediately and use a different pc to report back.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Yes, you'll want the full XP SP3 version.

XP Home : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116511
XP Pro : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116515

If the links time out just search newegg or google for XP SP3 OEM. Use another computer to order the CD then backup, format and reinstall. If your computer uses a sata hard drive you may need to insert a floppy with the sata drivers at the beginning of the installation or XP won't recognize the hard drive, get the drivers from the motherboard manufacturer's website. If it uses an IDE drive then all will go smoothly. Ask for help if needed (give us the brand and model of your motherboard).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Should I backup my whole system or just the stuff I know isn't infected?
What if I backup infected files, and it transfers to my new system? Is that even possible?
So far I have backed up the stuff I need, and I don't think I want to back up the whole thing.
But yeah, what if I end up backing up the infected files? I'm backing up on a My Passport portable hard drive. Also, it has a 'secure browsing' mode thing, where it stores all data transfered & encrypts it, can I rely on that? But what if i have a keylogger or something, than it wouldn't protect me either way.

I had an Asus A8n-SLI motherboard, which got replaced last year, I downloaded something that tells me the software I have installed so here's ths stuff on my motherboard

Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 11/25/2005-NF-CK804-A8NSLI-B-00
Motherboard Name Asus A8N-SLI

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type AMD Hammer
Real Clock 202 MHz
Effective Clock 202 MHz
HyperTransport Clock [ TRIAL VERSION ]

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type Dual DDR SDRAM
Bus Width 128-bit
DRAM:FSB Ratio CPU/5
Real Clock 201 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 403 MHz
Bandwidth [ TRIAL VERSION ] MB/s

Motherboard Physical Info
CPU Sockets/Slots 1 Socket 939
Expansion Slots [ TRIAL VERSION ]
RAM Slots 4 DDR DIMM
Integrated Devices Audio, Gigabit LAN
Form Factor ATX
Motherboard Size 240 mm x 300 mm
Motherboard Chipset nForce4-SLI
Extra Features [ TRIAL VERSION ]

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Product Information http://www.asus.com/ProductGroup2.aspx?PG_ID=mKyCKlQ4oSEtSu5m
BIOS Download http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
Driver Update http://driveragent.com?ref=59
BIOS Upgrades http://www.esupport.com/biosagent/index.cfm?refererid=40

maybe that's too much info but whatever

and yes, I am currently using the infected computer since I really have no other choice to do the info, though I am only turning on my modem when I have to load a webpage, I'm trying my ghetto ways to keep my pc alive...sad...

oh and again, sorry for not reading the sticky... I never thought I'd be one of those people, but I just kind of panicked.
PBCAK right?

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
If you don't have access to an uninfected computer then don't buy the XP CD online, get it from a local shop.

We don't know what virus you had since you didn't follow the instructions from the security team. Most viruses will only infect the operating system but some viruses may infect your word documents or other things. I would backup only your personal data : music, videos, my documents folder, bookmarks in whatever browser you use (use the bundled export utility), mails and address book in your mail client, ... No need to backup system files.

To start clean format the hard drive (you'll be prompted to do so during the installation) and reinstall XP SP3 from scratch. Once within Windows check that XP's firewall is enabled, connect to the internet, install a good antivirus (Antivir, AVG or avast are good free ones for instance) and connect to windows update to download the latest hotfixes. Restart when prompted to. Once you've done all that connect the drive with the backed up data, run a complete virus scan on it and delete any infected files. Then proceed to copy the old data back on your computer.

If your hard drive is SATA you'll need to press F6 when prompted to do so during the installation and insert a floppy with the proper SATA drivers. Expand IDE here to get those drivers. If you have no floppy drive ask for more instructions.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
If the XP CD dan't detect the hard drive try to enter the BIOS at startup (press del at bootup) and set drive mode to IDE or AHCI to disabled (depends on the BIOS).

If still no luck then first possibility is to borrow a floppy drive from a friend, plug it in your computer and insert a floppy with the sata drivers when you're prompted to press F6 to load the RAID/SCSI drivers at the beginning of the installation.

Second possibility is to slipstream the sata drivers on your XP Cd, here's a complete guide :
Resolving "Setup did not find any hard disk drives" during Windows XP Installation

You can get the sata drivers either from the motherboard's website (link in my previous post) or from your nvida chipset CD (should be in some directory called sata or raid drivers).

But give it a try with just the regular XP CD first, you may be lucky (some sata controllers are recognised right away by an XP SP3 CD).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.