Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife has been using wi-fi all this time, but she keeps complaining about the slowness. I went to Best Buy and got her an ethernet cord. I explained that it was for a Dell Inspiron laptop, but the bozo at BB just led me to the ethernet cords and handed me one, assuring me that it was the right cord.

Well, not quite, I guess it needs an adapter. She has a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 2-in-1. The label says it has Type C ports, but when I looked on Amazon at an adapter for Type C, it didn't look right to me. I could be wrong, but I want to be sure so that I won't have to hassle with returns.

I've attached some pics for reference. Thanks in advance.
Label
Font Gas Electronic device Multimedia Electric blue

Ethernet cord
Font Gadget Audio equipment Cable Electric blue

Left side ports
Communication Device Bumper Hood Gadget Portable communications device

Right side ports
Computer Personal computer Laptop Gadget Office equipment

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you explain to me what the USB Type-C as displayed on the sticker is?

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is exactly what that laptop needs for ethernet connection. Never trust minimum wage workers with technical questions, you should have come here first. Anyway it wasn't a wasted trip since you will need that ethernet cable to connect with this adapter

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
This is exactly what that laptop needs for ethernet connection. Never trust minimum wage workers with technical questions, you should have come here first. Anyway it wasn't a wasted trip since you will need that ethernet cable to connect with this adapter
Yep, we got it yesterday, works fine, easy-peasy install. I also checked the hard-drive to see if it needed to be defraged, but I guess I'm still old-school, the defrag clean-up is automated.

·
Global Moderator
51,479 Posts
Yep, all that is automated, and if you have an SSD, they don't need to be defragged.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,917 Posts
Dell.com > Inspiron 15 2-in-1 Laptop
Ports & Slots

1. MicroSD Card Reader | 2. USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A | 3. Headphone and Microphone Combo Jack | 4. Power | 5. HDMI 2.0 | 6. USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A | 7. Thunderbolt™ 4 with Power Delivery & DisplayPort

·
Global Moderator
51,479 Posts
So are you saying your Dell has NO ethernet socket? That's hard to belivie.
Not hard at all, I've seen a number of newer laptops and many tablets with no Ethernet connection. WiFi is getting to be the standard connection method for many new products.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not hard at all, I've seen a number of newer laptops and many tablets with no Ethernet connection. WiFi is getting to be the standard connection method for many new products.
Well, it's just like the floppy disk, then the CD, now the Ethernet! Thanks for the update.

·
Global Moderator
51,479 Posts
Pretty soon it'll be the screen and keyboard, then you'll have to use ESP to communicate with your computer! :D

Reactions: janesman2007

·
Global Moderator
42,341 Posts
Apple started the trend with the Macbook AIR eliminating Optical Drives, and Ports to make the laptops thinner, then came iPad's and Tablets, which are just large phones that don't make phone calls. If you need Ethernet, or more then one USB port and External monitors, then you will need a USB-C/Thunderbolt docking station or hub.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts