Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Windows 98 does not load. First errors were some .vxd files were missing or corrupt. Then gdi.exe would not load (I reinstalled the .fon files). I am trying to reinatall 98se over an existing 98. Scandisk gives error message that Long File Names exist and can't fix. Fix in windows (but of course I can't run windows to fix the problem).
How can I fix the long file name issue in Dos?
Is there a utility to do this?
Can I go ahead and install windows anyway?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
I need to ask this, why would you do an upgrade compared to a fresh install of 98se? A fresh install is always recommended over an upgrade :sayyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not an upgrade

Thanks for responding, it's good to know there are folks out there that actually read my posts.

I am not upgrading. I am just trying to reinstall.

·
15,478 Posts
I am trying to reinatall 98se over an existing 98
This is why I asked :rolleyes:

Did you fdisk,partition and format the drive before attempting to install?
What are your computer specs?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want to reinstall without formatting the disk. I have data on it that I'd rather not lose.

·
15,478 Posts
I have heard this can be done. This info is from some of the other members on this forum.

Basically, rename win.com, copy cab files from cd, run install from hard disk to same directory as 98 is already in.
Just do the upgrade from within windows if you are able,when you have windows up, pop in the disk and the screen should pop up and away you go.

Seems like it's worked for other people using this method:
http://help.lockergnome.com/lofiversion/index.php/t31704.html

·
1,438 Posts
jumpn said:
Windows 98 does not load. First errors were some .vxd files were missing or corrupt. Then gdi.exe would not load (I reinstalled the .fon files). I am trying to reinatall 98se over an existing 98. Scandisk gives error message that Long File Names exist and can't fix. Fix in windows (but of course I can't run windows to fix the problem).
How can I fix the long file name issue in Dos?
Is there a utility to do this?
Can I go ahead and install windows anyway?

Yes, go ahead and reinstall windows over itself (a dirty install). The long file names issue stems from DOS 8.3 file names conventions . That means that in DOS all file names had a limit of eight characters in the name followed by a three character extension. In addition, the full path was originally limited to 128characters (later versions of DOS support 256character paths)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q97595/
But windows does not share these limits, so often if you run scandisk in DOS, it will give you long filename and path errors , which just mean that DOS cannot handle the file, but that it is just fine in windows.

If that is the only error you are getting there should be no problem doing a dirty install to recover your data. Note that installed programs will no longer work since they are dependent on registry entries and the new registry will not have any record of them. Likewise, you may need to reinstall your device drivers, although it is highly likely that windows install will detect the old ones and load them.

My first suggestion would be to explore from a boot floppy and see if you have a folder c:\windows\options\cabs
If so , this is a compressed copy of your windows install. Just navigate there and type setup.exe and it will run the installer from there.
If you do not have that folder you can create it and copy the contents from the cd to it . Boot with a windows 98 startup disk and at the command prompt enter these commands to create the C:\Windows\Options\Cabs directories:

C:\>cd Windows (press enter)
C:\>md Options (press enter)
C:\>cd Options (press enter)
C:\>md Cabs (press enter)
C:\>cd Cabs (press enter)

After you're done that enter a windows 9x cd. and type the following command (make sure you're still in the cabs directory, it should look like this, where X is your cd-rom drive letter).
C:\Windows\Options\Cabs>Copy X:\Win98\*.* (press enter)

Wait for the copy to finish and run setup from the cabs folder, you can do this by typing:
C:\Windows\Options\Cabs>Setup (press enter)

When you run setup for the first time, you may be prompted to install windows in the "C:WINDOWS.000" directory. Choose 'Other Directory' and change this to "C:\WINDOWS" and ignore the caution messages.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.