Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently installed a new hardrive, maybe simple for some people but not for me!

I took the data on my old C: drive and copied it onto my old D: then took my old D: and put onto my new E: drive...

Problem I have now is that my boot drive with XP installed on it is now labelled F:\ and my new E: (with all my documents, images, etc etc etc from my old D:, ) is labelled C:\ :(

This is causing a few problems now as some programs expect my windows folders etc to be on C:\

I tried using the Disk Manager thingy to change the names, but it says I can't as they have a pagefile.sys on the drive...??

Does anyone have any ideas how I can restore the names back to a C:\ for my windows installation and D:\ for everything else??

Many Thanks

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I think the Microsoft Knowledge Base has some stuff on moving a Windows installation to another drive letter, but it's not an easy task. I've always reinstalled if I had to move it, because moving applications is frequently harder than getting the O/S to boot!

Consider this a lesson in computer configuration. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice! I've had a look on MS Knowledge base and you're right - easier to reinstall!!!

Oh well :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.