Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Microsoft tells me there's a problem with my wife's account. It shows her address as hotmail and asks for a password. We lost the hotmail password years ago, and haven't used it for 15 years?.
Don't know why it's asking all of a sudden. I remember on my own PC (both are WIN10 machines), when it asked me for my signin, I gave it a gmail account, and I believe it asked if I wanted to use that. I would have said yes.

I can't find a way out of this. She wants to use gmail as a sign-on. It won't take her password. We've kind of tried recovering her account, but there's really not much info on exactly what that means, so reticent to do that. She doesn't have a phone listed, except for our landline, and that won't take a text. It seems we're a step short for authentication. Nothing seems to work.
I think this is querying her periodically and slowing everything thing down. That happened to my PC when it started asking to sign in to my Microsoft account also. Once I did that, everything ran faster.

If her M$ account just asked for her gmail login, we'd be home free. But maybe not.

Any ideas?

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
30,000 Posts
Outlook.com>Can't access Account>Why are you having trouble?>Forgot Password>In Microsoft Account type your Hotmail Account>Solve Captcha>Choose Email to receive (a different account. Create one if need be)>If you can't MS will give you an alternative.

Reactions: kdugan

·
Global Moderator
Knowing how to use Google to solve problems
42,514 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Didn't quite know where to go on this. I guess that I didn't start where you said, but I seem to have muddled through regardless thanks to what you told me, so thank you. It seems that since the PC is no longer polling this persistent Microsoft account login, now her PC is running without interruption. Even if notifications are turned off, the machine will run slowly when the M$ account is polled. Strangeness, right?
This call is solved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts