Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all my first post on this forum and i need help with a recurring problem with my pc .
everyday on cold boot after the windows logo (windows xp) instead of loading the log in screen it sticks on a black screen
some background info....
This problem happened to my previous pc . the fan in the psu would make a fairly loud hum on startup but i thought nothing of it .
then the problem im having now began and got progressivly worse untill the computer wouldnt boot. not even show the bios screen nothing. it was a fairly old system so i just left it to rot and bought this new rig.

now the new rigs psu broke... so i was forced to put that old psu in my new one untill i replace it... now the problem has arisen again.its been going on for a while and ive replaced the psu with another but it still happens
i think by running that old psu it has done something to either my motherboard or my hdd.
its a really bad way to see my computer slowly rot away ...untill that morning where it wont boot at all.
so i need help determining the problem and fixing it straight away...help!

oh and ive recently discovered when it sticks at the black screen after windows logo the cd drive light is on .. once i press the cd button the computer springs into life and continues with boot . but the cd drive doesnt work after that. strange seems related to power problem?
but ive changed the psu:4-dontkno

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
what are you running
video card
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
model
wattage

and the other one you tried

check the listings in the bios for voltages and temperatures and post them

·
Registered
12 Posts
gpu-ati radeon hd4650
cpu-amd athalon II X4 620 2.6GHZ
Motherboard-N68-S (BIOS VERSION 1.60) its low but the updates i think are minor... not sure.
ram-2048mb/266mhz ddrII533

OLD PSU---
BRAND-generic but has a brand - sum vision
model..- i think its called p4-400w ...
watts - 400w it will be hard finding more info on this psu im guessing

new psu - info doesnt really matter i guess but here goes.
brand - EZcool
watts- 500watt ...
more info on it . - eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

voltages temperatures- cold boot in morning only ran bios screen
CPU TEMPRETURE- 64c thats abit hot,....? lol
Mother board temp:32c

Vcore 1.424v
+3.30v 3.424v
+5.00v 5.232v
+12.00v 12.302v

sorry for double post but the cpu temp has risen to 72c ...
and before the voltages were stable not moving
now theye are going up and down
i had a speedy first response but seems quiet now lol
also i did abit of research and it may be bad capacitors? its kind of pointing towards that... i will open rig up and try see...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well its obviously not the psu now.... its running that old psu that did the damage to the motherboard or either the hdd.... or something .
and no i cant borrow any other psus...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
i can try switching to the onboard video then/>?

edit- not getting anywhere with this...is there any diagnostic software or something?
dai thanks for the fast responses but i really dont think its psu... maybe the old psu fried the motherboard capacitors? i just opened her up and it doesnt show any signs of capacitor failure but its hard to spot

also if its hdd failure i will run try get hold of an external hd and install windows on it see if problem persists.
(going round in circles... prob not hd due to it turns on when i press cd button....) wth is going on

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
disconnecting the hd ... ? it only fails to boot after windows logo . disconnecting the hd will not show anything... ive left the computer to cool it seems it only occurs at cold boot ... i might try safe mode to see if it has anyting to do with the os/hdd

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i thought so ... im thinking running that burnt out loud crappy 400w done something to another component im just hoping its not the m/b

·
Registered
12 Posts
PSU Is junk but thats irrelevant i think.
i removed the ram . booted and got 3 beeps in a row and kept repeating

edit - its ami bios looking at motherboard manual and 3 beeps mean
base 64k ram failure?
so all that did was tell me there was no ram seated...

Umm started running chkdsk.... comps going to ****.... getting a "delayed write failed" error

this is what happened to the old computer it started to deteriorate e.g i click on firefox and it brought up my documents.....

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
edit - its ami bios looking at motherboard manual and 3 beeps mean
base 64k ram failure?
so all that did was tell me there was no ram seated...
And that indicates the Mobo is most likely OK.

Remove all the RAM- boot- see if you get any beep codes. That will help determine if the Mobo is bad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dai its not complete junk sure its pretty low quality but seeing that the damn problem arose TWICE in TWO different rigs due to ANOTHER psu i WAS using ..... all blame points to that, weather it was low quality or innsufficent power. the fact that i was using another psu has ben ignored pretty much... youre talking asthough its a new rig ive built...

umm cpu temp is high but were talking about cold boot... ive checked up inside and its pretty clean . maybe the heat build up is to do with something else?

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Actually your PSU is complete junk as , by your description, was the previous one.
You do not get anywhere near a good quality 550W PSU for £10.40.
The previous power issues could have damaged other components.
Low quality/underpowered PSU's can cause a wide array of problems as noted in the link I posted in Post #12: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f210/power-supply-information-and-selection-192217.html
At this point I would suggest a bench test.
Remove EVERYTHING from the case.
Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity!
Install the CPU and heat sink.
Install 1 stick of RAM.
Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
Connect the monitor to the video card.
Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 or 8 pin power connection.
Connect power to the power supply.
Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wait, you want me to test for a short.? it always boots fine second time..
so it always shorts the first time? im pretty sure its not a short lol

OH and the old psu caused the problem...
i know the "550" watt psu is crap that has nothing to do with my problem
It happened last year with the old psu on a different computer
and happened again due to adding the old psu to the new rig
i wanna make that clear ffs the new psu has only been in a day ... after months of this problem caused by the old one
clarify -
old-400w - caused problem
new 500w - crap but works and doesnt hum

i will swap parts around... but i could have and did figure that out by my self

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.