Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...so I am new to forums, but not really new to pcs. But...without having parts to really test with, I need ideas on whats wrong with mine. :upset:

I have a custom built pc (about 2 yrs old). Its got:
AMD X2 2.6 cpu
2 GB ram
250gb sata hdd
GeForce 7600gt video card

It worked fine since I got it. I came home the other day and it had shut down for no reason. I checked all the plugs and wires, everything was fine. When I unplugged the AC and plugged it back in, the PC started without me even hitting the power switch. However, the CPU fan stopped while the rest continued (hdd spinning, optical, PSU fan running, lights on etc). There were no beep, no boot and no video output. I have tried a new PSU, new ram, unplugging extras, the works. The only things I can't test are the CPU and mobo (I dont have spares to test with). If I hold the power switch or hit the reset switch, nothing happens. I have to physically unplug it or switch off the power supply to stop it.

This may be completely simple, and Im either having an off day or Im missing something. Do you all think I need a new mobo? (that was my line of thinking, but want to get some advice before I shell out the money)

Thanks for any ideas or help. :sigh:
~Melanie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No beeping at all..with or without ram. I was thinking MB to begin with , but is there a way to tell if the CPU is bad instead. Limited funds and I want to get the right part.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Can you borrow another PSU to try before you purchase another Mobo?
If you have a retail Windows disc you can reuse it as many times as necessary. MS "law" says, it can only be installed on one PC at a time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried a known working PSU as one of the first options. As for my Windows disk...my ex kept it. He never let me put the code sticker on the case because he said it looked tacky...so...he's got that too. But, if I can get the exact MB that I already have, I won't have to reinstall because the drivers wont change. Luckily I found one online. Its a lil more than I wanted to spend...so it'll be a lil bit longer before I can get it. But...it'll save me money from re-buying windows and I wont have to wipe my system thankfully. I'll update here once I get the new board and get it installed. Thanks for all the advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.