Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, it's me again.

So, I have an older computer from 2001, I have made many upgrades to it and currently the specs are:

Gigabyte GA-72X
AMD Athlon 1.0 Ghz
416 MB SDRAM
20, 40 GB HDD
ATI Radeon 9600XT 256 MB
Windows XP SP2

My ram configuration is

dimm slot 1: 256 mb sdram pc133
dimm slot 2: 128 mb sdram pc133
dimm slot 3: 32 mb sdram pc133

What I wanted to do was replace the 32 mb one with a new 256 mb (sd, pc133). I reordered so it was 256, 256, 32. I started the system up and I heard beeps, monitor was blank, just everything in the case was running. Three beep intervals, so like, 3 beeps, pause for a sec or two, and 3 beeps again.

So, I went back to my original configuration, 2561, 128 and 32. booted up again, and it said my there was an error with my CMOS, so I chose to load default values. I booted into windows xp and the time was messed up. It was May 18, 2001 I think it was, but everything else is fine. So I changed it back to normal.

Now what I want to do is to upgrade my RAM, but that happened. I want to know why it happened, and can I upgrade without this happening.

Thanks in advanced!! :wave:

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
The VIA KT133 chipset comes in GA-7ZX(Rev 1.x), GA-7ZX-1(Rev 5.0), GA-7ZX-1(Rev 5.1), GA-7ZX-1(Rev 1.x), GA-7ZX(Rev 5.0), GA-7ZXR(Rev 1.x), GA-7ZM motherboards. I couldn't find a GA-72X Gigabyte motherboard.

We need to know which one you have exactly. Run some software like EVEREST to find out which motherboard you have exactly -- i.e. the version aswell. It'll be easier to look for the make/model/version on the motherboard itself (printed).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you got the book that came with the motherboard ? So you can see the spec allowed in the motherboard ?
Yep, I did a detailed read through of the GA-7ZX manual, and my ram is compatible.

The VIA KT133 chipset comes in GA-7ZX(Rev 1.x), GA-7ZX-1(Rev 5.0), GA-7ZX-1(Rev 5.1), GA-7ZX-1(Rev 1.x), GA-7ZX(Rev 5.0), GA-7ZXR(Rev 1.x), GA-7ZM motherboards. I couldn't find a GA-72X Gigabyte motherboard.

We need to know which one you have exactly. Run some software like EVEREST to find out which motherboard you have exactly -- i.e. the version aswell. It'll be easier to look for the make/model/version on the motherboard itself (printed).
I have cpu-z, I think that's good enough. Ok, so specific specs of the MB that I think is relevant is:

Gigabyte Technologies
GA-7ZX 1.0 Rev.03
VIA KT133A Chipset
VIA VT82C686 Southbridge
VIA 686A/B Sensor
American Megatrends 62710 BIOS

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
OK - your motherboard is HERE
1. 3 168-pin DIMM sockets
2. Supports PC-100 / PC-133 SDRAM and VCM SDRAM
3. Supports up to 1.5GB DRAM
4. Supports only 3.3V SDRAM DIMM
Yes going from that you should be able to upgrade your RAM quite easily. Check the mobo site and manual for RAM that is known as compatible with your system and that would be ideal to purchase. I'm not sure why the error took place, possibly some tiny ESD? I can only speculate but it might be worthwhile to reset the CMOS and then try the upgrade. Buy RAM sticks that are same as those you have in already -- as in make/model/speed/size to ensure best compatibility.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Try putting in just one stick at a time, and do this for each stick. Also try putting the sticks in different slots, and see if you can get it to boot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ok, so I played around with it, mixing the sticks up, and the new stick of RAM doesn't work with any of the other sticks. =(

So now that that is solved... I guess. I have one more question, What would be better:

having 2 sticks of ram, 256 mb and 128 mb @ 133 mhz

or

256, 128 @ 133 mhz and 32 mb @ 100 mhz

I heard that having lower speed ram lowers the speed of your other ram. So is it better to have mroe ram, or a faster bus speed?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Does the new RAM work by itself? If not, then you can rule that the new RAM is DOA.

BTW, if you put in a PC100 stick with two PC133 sticks, they will all run at PC100 (100 MHz) speeds. So the extra 32 MB will slow down the other RAM.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm, I'll have to try the one stick by itself.

And, yea, I took out the 32MB, and I noticed a jump in performance, although I dont have as much as before. Ah well, 32MB isnt that big of a difference, and I like the improvement in performance, even though its not major, its still very noticeable

I'll update soon on whether the stick of 256 works or not.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here's another thing, some boards don't support all double sided RAM. If youh ave 3 slots, 2 probably will take double sided RAM, and one will take single sided RAM.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Just an idea, The upgrading can work out expensive, and with some older harware you end up fighting a loosing battle, I only say this because I bought my son a tower, it had 3300 cpu - 2gb ram - dvd rewriter - usual power supply 450 watts I think - fans - ethernet ready - xblade tower - onboard 128 graphics with the option to upgrade with the pci express slot - A drive - 200 gb hard drive - onboard 7.1 sound.
I dont know what your upgrading to attempt to do, some people just use their pc for internet or work, but if you are thinking of games etc you really need to upgrade your cpu,( I think yours is 1GB) I know it may run a little faster with the extra ram, but not sure what you are trying to achieve.
Sorry im not trying to be negative, its just that my sons computer works fine, runs quite fast at the cost of £200, all the works done for you.
He has upgraded his graphics to 512 mb pci express at the cost of £76 but im sure the pc will run fine with the 128mb onboard as my daughter has the same pc but not the graphics upgrade, it works fine too, she plays the sims which draw a lot of the computers resorces.
I know £200 may seem a lot but the works done for you and buying uncompatable ram etc works out dear in the end.
Just an idea *

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All my slots support single sided and double sided ram.

And guess what, that stick of RAM is faulty...Argh!!

And I just want to improve the overall performance of my computer thats all, I have no money for a new system, even if its $100. I'm still in high school btw =P. Most of my gaming needs are already satisfied on my 360. The only games I play on my computer are the older ones, like Call of Duty or Counter-strike 1.6, both of which run absolutey fine.

This upgrade is mostly for my Photoshopping as I run out of memory ocassionally, plus the very minute improvement in speed.

So, I guess it's not my mb's fault, its the RAM, how inconvenient!

Anyways, thanks for the help guys, it is much appreciated!

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Well that explains it. RMA the RAM if it is still under warranty, and get a new stick. I guess you just picked the unlucky one from pot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.