Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I'm new to Linux, so pardon my ignorance. Anyways, here's the basic scenario.

System Specs:

Master Hard drive: WD- 120 GB
Slave Hard drive: Maxtor- 40 GB (shows up as 34 GB for some reason)
RAM: 512 MB
CPU: Intel 3.0 GHz

I have about 10 GB free on the 120 GB hard drive, and about 7 GB free on the 40 GB one. I have already downloaded and burned a bootable (ISO) DVD for Slackware Linux 11.0 (i want to try it out).

What's the best way that I can do this to make a dual-boot system, w/o erasing my current data on the hard drives??

(Since partitioning to accomodate for the dual-boot system would erase all data)

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
3,152 Posts
Hello, welcome to TSF!
You'll have to create partitions for Linux. One partition for the actual installation, and one for swap (pagefile). You can use software like Norton Partition Magic to do that without losing data. Or free software like SystemRescueCD (also many Linux distributions come with a partitioner). You should not lose data, although you'll want to back up any important files before you partition. You will also want to defragment your current partitions before you make any new ones. You might have been better off trying a distro like the Ubuntu family or PCLinuxOS that are more new-user-friendly. While I've never personally used Slackware, it has a reputation for being better suited for advanced users.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
3,152 Posts
Yes, that is correct. What you'll want to do is resize the partition that you want to make free space from, (make it smaller). Then with the space you just freed up, make a new partition. Remember to defragment first, as you increase the risk of corrupting data if you don't.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.