Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need some advice before buying

Hi, since it's my first post here, i'll try to be as clear as possible! I'm trying to build a computer to do audio work (by audio work i mean producing and mixing songs) and I want to be sure that i'll use my computer to the fullest of his capacity. I don't want to pay for something...higher than my need.

All my studio is on my computer (Recording/Effects/SoftSynths/Sampler/etc) so im pretty sure i'll need a lot of processing power so here his the system that i built

CPU : AMD Athlon64 X2 3800
Board : MSI K8N Neo PLatinum 4 SLI
Case : Antec Sonata 380W (Silent)
HD : Seagate Barracuda 7200 250Gb
Video : ATI radeon X600Pro 256 (PCI-E)
RAM : Corsair 1024 [400] Dual Twinx
Dvd RW :Asus 1608P DVD RW 16x

Thx in advance for your comments!

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
Welcome to the forum.....Did you get an Audio card....like the Audigy2 or better, which will also have front mounted audio ports and firewire....? don't depend on onboard sound. If you will be converting large files from one format to the next, you may want to up the memory to 2 gigs and, while the Antec Sonata 380W psu is good....be wary of it, its about the min requirement for your system.(I have had much success with it though).....other than that looks to be one fine setup enjoy and please let us know how it goes.
TWAJETMECH

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oupps...sorry i forgot about the sound card! I have a M-Audio 2496 PCI card for now but im looking to upgrade it, but i'll stay with M-Audio because they're offering me the option to go Pro-tool M-Powered!

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

Nice system specs / I would suggest the Enermax 600 watt PSU / those SLI boards and dual core CPU are real power hogs / the Antec 380 would be getting the snot pushed out of it running your rig / a good comparision would be you traveling cross the united states in your car with the gas pedal to the floor the whole trip ~~~ maybe you'll get a round trip but probally not!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Enermax-600W-Noisetaker-EG701AX-VE-SFMA-power-supply-NU_W0QQitemZ6798232075QQcategoryZ44949QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

*** note the description: "NVIDIA APPROVED SLI POWER SUPPLY"

regards

joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First, thank you all for your advice! I'll look around to see if i can get a better case/power supplie. I choose the Sonata because it was a quiet model, since i dont want to hear noise while im mixing...but i'll try to find one with a better power supplie

BTW what can happen if the power supplie is not suffisant?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
The Sonata II comes with a 450 watt power supply. One of my machines is in one. It's pretty quiet and a very nice case to boot.

Weak power supplies can cause just about every symptom you can think of including crashes, freezes, lockups, graphics corruption, shutdowns, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.