Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to build a new box and have a little cash to spend. Here's what I've put together. I'm looking for opinons and suggestions, good or bad. The thing I have the least knowledge on is cooling.

*Note: All prices are in CND dollars. Links to stores are Canadian dealers.

Primary Purpose: Gaming
Budget: I want to keep it around $2,000 before taxes.

Cost Before Tax: $2,098.90
Cost After Tax: $2,371.76

-------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: Asus Maximus Formula Socket 775 Intel X38 - Store Link

Graphics Card: EVGA e-GeForce 9800GTX 512MB - Store Link

Memory: Corsair XMS2 Dominator TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF Matched Pairs 4GB Kit - Store Link

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Processor BX80569Q9450 - 2.66GHz - 12MB Cache - Store Link

Hard Drive:
- Western Digital Raptor 150GB (WD1500ADFD) - Store Link
- Western Digital Caviar 500GB SATAII 7200RPM 16MB (WD5000AAKS) - Store Link

Case: Thermaltake CS Xaser VG4000BWS Full Tower - Store Link

Power Supply: Enermax Infiniti EIN650AWT 650W Power Supply - Store Link

Case: Thermaltake CS Xaser VG4000BWS Full Tower - Store Link

Rom Drive: Plextor PX-810SA - Store Link

Cooling:
- Arctic Silver 5 - Store Link
- Zalman CPU Cooler CNPS9500A LED Pure Copper - Store Link

Software: Windows Vista Premium 64 bit - Store Link

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
A couple of comments:

First, I agree that the Corsair power supply dai mentioned is a much better choice. In addition, if you want to do any upgrades in the near future, you need the 750 watt power supply and not the 650.

Second, I don't know what you are planning on doing with this rig, but the majority of applications don't use the full capabilities of the quad core. Don't misunderstand, they are great, but you can get a more reasonably priced choice with something like the e8500 processor and they are more cost effective for most people. That is my opinion.

You have put together a nice rig IMHO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice, i'll sub out the Enermax for the Corsair. PS was one of my unsure but I always remembered Enermax being one of the best.

I heard new video cards are coming out from AMD and nVidia in a few weeks, do you think its worth waiting?

I'm thinking that anything that comes out is going to be very expensive high-end. Plus the prices of existing wont go down for a while. I need to figure out of I want to wait the couple weeks to see what happens or just get it now.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
There will always be a new video card coming out in a couple of weeks, if you know what I mean. If it were me, I would stike while the "poker is hot" as the old saying goes and get this rig going. I just don't buy technology until a few others have kind of been the testing ground to make sure you aren't buying something that is not what it is advertised to be. That is the reason for my advice about going ahead and my opinion on your question.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.