Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

It's been a long time!

I'm currently using a P2P program called Soulseek which after an hour or so seems to be a ridiculous resource hog as everything runs very slow. Here's what I'm running:

AMD Athlon 1600XP+
256mb 2100 DDR RAM
Shuttle AK31 Socket A Mobo

My questions are the following:

1. Will another 256mb RAM make a noticable improvement?

2. I'm currently using a Seagate ST310014ACE 5400rpm 10gb Hard Drive from out of an Xbox to run the OS on - will a faster drive be any better as I don't think these Xbox drives are the best?

3. What about overclocking? My current heatsink and fan supports up to the Athlon 2000XP+ cpu so would it still be adequate to cool an overclocked 1600? If so then I would be greatly appreciative on some guidlines of how to go about this.

4. I really can't be bothered to buy a new proc & mobo!

Cheers guys
Mark

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I doubt that increasing the processor speed will do anything for you. My guess is that either the program has a memory leak or other issue.

Does the hard drive get real busy when you notice the slowdown?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you mean is the HDD led blinking like mad then yes it is - it is permanently on near enough and I can hear it seeking intensively.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Would it be reasonable to think that people might be downloading files from you? It is after all a peer to peer filesharing program.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course it is reasonable to think that but I don't think that 'traffic' is enough to cause such a dramatic slowdown.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I think something else is afoot, I've run peer-to-peer in the past, and with several people downloading, it's not even noticeable unless I want to use the Internet. If the HD is really hammering away, something else is going on. If you bring up task manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del), what task is using all the processor time?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.