Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all. Alright, here we go.

A couple of months ago I bought new stuff for my computer. A Radeon 9700 pro, a new motherboard (elitegroup, don't remember model), an AMD2000+ (1.66), and a new case. So, I assemble my precious using my old stuff except from what I bought (meaning HD, monitor, ram and so on). Everything works fine for almost exactly 1 month, when it suddenly turns itself off while i'm playing warcraft3. I try to start it up again, but nothing happens. Well, the fans on the CPU heatsink and on the videocard is spinning, but I don't get any beep from the videcard switching on or anything. No flashing lights on the keyboard and nothing on screen. After thouroughly (sp?) checking cables and checking memory is in position and even swapping the socket for the memory, removing hardware and so on, I finally removed the battery and started. YAY! The thing started to boot up. But it halted and said there was an error in CMOS. Ok, maybe not so strange since I removed the battery, so I choose to load default settings. It seems to work since it even starts win98. So I put the battery back in and start up again, but a couple of minutes later it turns itself off AGAIN! I try to remove the battery again, but this time it doesn't help. Here is where I am now. I am clueless as to what to do.

My own suggestion is a corrupt BIOS. Please, can you give me some tips, hints, help, anything that can help me restore my computer would be appreciated. Or do I simply have to turn it in for service...

It sucks when you buy new stuff for 700 bucks and it lasts for a month. And sorry about the long descriptions. Just wanted you to have as much background info as possible. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you try using your old stuff to see if it works then? If not try it with the old hardware and try the new hardware a piece at a time to see if you can narrow down the problem. I know this isn't an answer but it could help to find the answer. Did that make sense? LOL :) Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I would if I could. I dont have my old system anymore. Sold it when I bought the new stuff.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Ogre,

Sounds like you might have a bad motherboard. If you have a mother board lying around some where try it to see if it works. If not, go buy one and spend a little bit more money. LOL. Probably not want you wanted to hear but this will probably solve your problem.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
also....is the Power supply new??? If not spend some money (the joys of keeping a computer up to date) and get a monster Power supply....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Doonz is probably on the right track, maybe your PS isn't kicking out enough power. If you are using a PS that came with the case, then that might be the problem(they usually come with very poor power supplies). I would go with a 350W or better. Also try reseating the memory.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys.

The powere suppy is dishing out 300 W I think, not sure though, since Im not home when Im typing this.

Yup, I think it's a bad motherboard too. There is a warranty, so i'ts not very catastrophic, except that I'm going crazy without a computer hehe.

Anyway, I have reseated teh memory like 12367594376 times. And tried in both memory sockets. I really don't want to spend more money. I can't afford it. I may buy a new power supply, since that is also a possible cause for all this.

Thanks all. If you come up with something more, let me know, ok?:tongue2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
you may want to see if you can d/l a flash bios update before you replace your motherboard that may help. Use the switch /wipeclean if the update supports that switch. It will wipe the bios clean and rebuild it completely it works on dell computers but I have never tried it on others

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did flash the bios like 2 days after I got the system. I would try a flash again if I could just start the **** up. I can't, so a flash is quite difficult to pull off. Thx anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
well from i hear it seems that in ur BIOS, ur power supply isn't strong enough it won't even post, and when it does, it shuts off right?, yeah the system stability isn't good, u need to go to BIOS and up the core voltage the the Frequency/voltage control section of the BIOS, if u can't even get into the bios u need to reset the CMOS jumper, do this by locating the JBAT1 on ur motherboard, look into the manual if u can't find it, its a 3 prong thingy, which has a plastic thing connecting two of the three together, remove that and place the plastic thing on the other two that weren't connecting before, let it site there for about 5 seconds and place the plastic jumper back to the original position. now start up, go into BIOS and put the voltage i guess around 1.750 since that is the default, let us know what happened

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.