Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
My gateway lcd moniter has a circular crack and has a blotchy circle that distorts the picture. :4-dontkno I need to find out where i can repair this lcd moniter. I live in southwest michigan. If you have any info or tips or just would like to talk to me, ect. contact me through my email at -EMAIL REMOVED- . The help would be much appreciated, this blotchy crack in the screen is driving me nuts, i have got to get it repaired! the help would be much appreciated!! :cool:

· Registered
18,185 Posts
Repairing them is more trouble than it's worth. If it's an older screen then parts may be more scarce and the price rises at that point. If you can give more details we can give you a more precise answer. At this point, I'd just go with replacement.

· Registered
118 Posts
I second that; go with a replacement.

I suggest watching the Slickdeals site for DELL monitor discounts and coupons. Dell OEMs great LCD monitors -- I have two of them. I hate Dell computers, but love their monitors. Anyway, watching these Slick Deals I got a 20" Analog/Digital/Composite/S-Video LCD for 40% off, and a hi-res 17" Analog/Digital for >50% off ($180!!).

- The Inspector

· Registered
3 Posts
Ok heres an additional question. My dad has found the exact same monitor i am in need of repairing possibly for sale on ebay:http://cgi.ebay.com/Gateway-FPD1730...ryZ29502QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem. The monitor on ebay is in supposidly in 95% good condition (plz read ebay post for info) concerning its screen and over condition, the problem of the ebay monitor is most likely in its signal processing board. My question is could i purchase this ebay monitor and transfer its lcd screen to my monitor (note, is exact same model) since its has a crack but is overall functional and put it back together to make a functioning lcd monitor instead of getting a costly repair or buying a pricy monitor new? I am asking if this is possible to be done by ones self instead of taking it to some repair place and spending money doing that. Is it possible to be done at home? Is it extremely hard? I am wondering if it can be done? It says the signal processing board damaged monitor can be useful for parts if you have that monitor and your monitor has a bad power supply or a cracked lcd monitor (like in my case!!). I am sorry for such a long thread to read but i am just trying to make my point or question very clear. Thanks for reading this and trying to help!! Your help would be appreciated. If you need anything contact me at coolpoptartman(at)yahoo.com

· Registered
118 Posts
There's a small chance that even in the same model monitor they could have different guts. You may want to ask the seller to take a quick pic of the insides but chances are he hasn't/wouldn't open it. But as I said, a SMALL chance.

Beyond that, it would be much easier and less risky to transfer the main electronic boards from your LCD to the EBay one than to try to transfer the screen to yours. Make a note to transfer every disconnectable board from your old LCD to the EBay one. Even the power supply. Even though it lights up, the problem could be one output of a multiple output PSU is bad and not powering the electronics. No way to tell unless you had schematics and test guides showing expected voltages, etc.

THIS IS A BIG, DELICATE JOB. If you're a novice hardware hacker, consider this carefully.

If you've never dug into a piece of high-tech electronics, don't try to do this on your own. At the very least, get someone who's experienced to look over your shoulder. Just getting the case apart without breaking the case and the delicate inner bits can be a challenge if you haven't done a few and know all the tricks.

One big tip: Get a Sharpie indellible marker and mark every connector A, B, C, ... as you take it off the board or pull them apart. Mark the board side and the connector side with the same letter. Put a piece of tape with a piece of marked paper around a connector's wire if there's no way to mark it. You'll be glad later. Most devices try to use unique connectors but some don't. I've blown out a lot of equipment in my past just because I forgot to label connectors and I was "sure" of how they went back together.

Make sure you mark the same cable on each unit with the same label!

Go slowly, ask for advice, and leave the hammers in the toolbox.

- The Inspector

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.