Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been given a used Gateway 1998 desktop that someone had upgraded to Windows XP. I have followed all the steps for "cleaning up" but the computer is still not responding takes forever to start up then ages to switch screens. Adding Norton brought the computer almost to a stand still so I removed. Was advised by computer tech to trash and buy new computer. The computer will be used only for accessing internet and sending emails so I would like to make one final effort by removing everything from harddrive and starting over. Could someone please tell how to go about it. Thank you

·
Registered
44 Posts
sunshine said:
I have been given a used Gateway 1998 desktop that someone had upgraded to Windows XP. I have followed all the steps for "cleaning up" but the computer is still not responding takes forever to start up then ages to switch screens. Adding Norton brought the computer almost to a stand still so I removed. Was advised by computer tech to trash and buy new computer. The computer will be used only for accessing internet and sending emails so I would like to make one final effort by removing everything from harddrive and starting over. Could someone please tell how to go about it. Thank you
1st thing... Another way is.. try not to think of using Windows XP, try using Window 98SE, so far it is consider as the stable OS. Try backup all your data before format and install the Window 98SE..
2nd thing.. Web browsing and email , doesnt need a fast and furious PC, a simple OS and a simple PC will do the job..

Good Luck..

·
Registered
380 Posts
sunshine-
There are a lot of reasons why this could be happening. With todays web graphics and programs it is important to have adequate RAM memory. If you are running anything less than 256mb RAM- it is a problem.

Second- 1998 machine may not have a processor speed sufficient for
Windows XP. I believe that the minimum speed is 266mhz.

About starting all over- do you have an operating system install disc? Not a restore disc but a regular OS Disc?

To upgrade memory- about $45 to 256mb. Keep in mind that you can get
a brand new computer these days for around $279 with lots of bells and whistles and capable of meeting all of todays program and graphics needs.

Let us know what the processor speed is and the RAM and we will see if we can't get it to work for you.

Andy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Andy, thank you for your response....the computer in need is a Gateway Intel Pentium II processor 348 MHz with 64.0 MB of RAM. It was upgraded from Windows 98 to Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 with Service Pack 1. I really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sunshine said:
Andy, thank you for your response....the computer in need is a Gateway Intel Pentium II processor 348 MHz with 64.0 MB of RAM. It was upgraded from Windows 98 to Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 with Service Pack 1. I really appreciate your help.

I am still in need of help....I believe this computer can be saved. I would like to erase the harddrive completely and reinstall windows 98. Could someone please recommend /or explain how I should go about this process. Thank you

·
Registered
209 Posts
assuming you have a win 98 floppy and cd, put the floppy in and follow the directions or reformat the hard drive. once its formatted it will be clear for win98 to be installed, i dont know the exact steps because ive only partially done it once. but it never leaves you stuck, there will always be an option that will move you forward in the install.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Sunshine,
You have been given this machine, so that's good...nothing invested thus far. If you have a full version XP CD I would stay with that. Your machine will run XP well if you make a few changes. I'm on a Compaq of the same vintage that is running XP right now.

In my experience, XP is far more stable that Win98...night and day.

If you want to get your hands dirty and go under the hood, here's the "Level One" scenario.

Go to Crucial.com and use their memory configurator. This will identify the type and amount of memory your comp will handle. Don't buy from Crucial for this elderly comp. Instead buy used from your local PC recycler. My guess is you have a 3x128 (384MB) max machine....get rid of the 64MB and max out the slots. I paid $15.00 per stick used.

The free for personal use Everest Home Edition from Lavalys and Sandra Lite from SiSoft will give complete system inventories....a must have for upgrading purposes.

Once you are memory-upgraded and ready to install XP and have rescued any important data, wipe the hard-drive.

Download DBAN (free) and build the floppy version. Follow the instructions and wipe your drive. It will take several hours to complete.

Now you are ready to install XP.

If you want to get your hands even dirtier (Level Two) and get into upgrading BIOS, CPU and memory capacity send a PM.

Regards,
JF

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.