Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gang. I have a windows update that wont install and I can't uninstall a broken program (Flight Simulator) nor repair it because I am getting an error message that my "Windows Installer" is not functioning. I uninstalled Windows Installer 3.1 then reinstalled it from microsoft.com. That didn't help. Then I uninstalled it again and tried to Install Windows Installer 3.0 but it said I had a more current version already even though 3.1 had been uninstalled. This is driving me crazy. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi Tina, thanks a bunch for the link but still no dice. :mad: I appreciate it though. I downloaed a trial version of "RegCure" and it said it located one error in the uninstall entries. It also said it had 450 other errors in other places, lol. It wants $30 for the full version though...think this program might work? Also does "RegCure" fix the registry? Because I've been using a registry cleaner, can those things screw stuff up? Thanks! :grin:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys, tried that and still no luck. I know this might sound rediculous but is it possible I can't install the windows installer fix because my windows installer is broken?

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Firstly, go to Start>Run>type: services.msc and hit enter.
Find Windows Installer there on the right, and see its set to manual

If not, set it to manual by right-click. Then try installing whatever you need to again. Its should work.

If not have the latest updates and service pack.
Then go to Add/Remove programs, check show updates in the top, see if you can find windows installer there, remove it. Then try installing the 3.1 v2 again.

Edited duly.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello everyone, thanks a buch for all of your help! I now have the problem solved. I uninstalled and reinstalled Windows Installer many times and ran various software programs so I'm not 100% sure what did the trick but I think Windows Installer downloaded correctly after running "Advanced Windows-Care" from download.com. It's a free program and uncovered about 10 errors. After those were fixed Windows Installer installed, my live update stayed installed, and I can install new programs now. Thanks a lot guys! happy holidays.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.