Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
he guys. I would like to do a clean install / reformat of my computer. It has slowed down a ton since I got it 2yrs. ago, and I'm sure there is a ton of junk on there. Anyway, I have never done this before, so I have some questions.
There are a couple of programs that are on my computer that I want to keep, and also there is a video game that I play that has the game saved on like the 100th. level. How do I make backups of these files so that after I do the clean install, I can use these programs like I did before the reformat? Then, how do I do the reformat? :chgrin: To let you guys better help me out, this is my rig:

leadtek fx5950 video card
audigy 2 sound card
every other aftermarket button and whistle (wireless keyboard/mouse, joysticks, steering wheels, gamepads, web cam, etc.)

will I have to re-install all the software for this stuff too??

G

·
If you really want to start over you should write zeros to the drive.

But when you do start over your really going to be starting with nothing except what you have on CD's. As far as the game goes I can't think of a way of saving all of your scores and stuff and you will need to install all the software for all of your gadgets that you have in there.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I did a format c and re-install of Windows Xp on my computer last night.

I did it all from the Windows set-up disk, which I found much easier then doing it in ..ermm command line? DOS? DOS i think :chgrin:

I use Windows xp, I boot from the CD, go to install windows and choose a full format of the drive before i install, it then copies Windows on without me having to have a floppy read with the CD driver on etc.

THough have you tired to defrag the drive? I have read you should do this once a month, depending on how much up put on/take off your drive.

The defrag will re-sort the files on the drive so they are faster to access. I saw it described as a library which had its books put back in the wrong place, defrag puts them back in the right places.

Others can prob explain better then me.

Some games have save folders in their directories it is sometimes possible to save these files onto a floppy.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I looked for teh edit button but couldnt find it :rolleyes:

If you did defragment the harddrive (startmenu/programs/accessories/system tools), I would first of all back up what you could, do a full virus scan of your hardrive and run check disk. USe disk clean up to delete temp internet files.etc and look through add/remove programs on the control panel and remove any programs you dont use anymore.

Also turn off any Screensaver, as this can interfere with defragment. This process can last an hour to several depending on the harddrive size/amount of fragmentation so you could set it going before you go shopping :wink:

Try the analize button first. Before you press defrag it will probably say to defrag, but I would analyize anyway.

If you are using WIndows XP, mebbe though not sure about 2000, they install hardware, like mice, printers for you. Though when you get back onto teh internet I would download the latest drivers, the ones on teh Windows disk will probably be old.

Did you buy the computer as it is or have you added things as time went on? you should have the installation disks, if Windows will not install hardware for you. THough if shop bought in a package they dont always include teh installation disk, which I dont agree with as it is part of what you are buying.

I always see format c: as the last resort. So I lwould look into defragmenting the harddrive, that way you should keep all your programs and saved games

Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.