Tech Support Forum banner

need help with my old old old old 10 year laptop

927 Views 14 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  crazijoe
my laptop is about 10 years old and when i turn it in it says "insert system disk to continue press any key to continue" but i tryed to install windows xp and windows 2000 and it says "cannot dectect and harddrives" how do i fix it i don't have to money to fix it what should i do? :4-dontkno :4-dontkno :4-dontkno :4-dontkno :4-dontkno
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
littshepkid02 said:
my laptop is about 10 years old and when i turn it in it says "insert system disk to continue press any key to continue" but i tryed to install windows xp and windows 2000 and it says "cannot dectect and harddrives" how do i fix it i don't have to money to fix it what should i do? :4-dontkno :4-dontkno :4-dontkno :4-dontkno :4-dontkno
Were you ever able to run windows 2000 or xp? These seem to be way to big of operating systems to run on a 10 year old laptop. How big is you hard drive?
well i don't really know but it ran on 98 so it is probly supre slow harddrive crased so it thinnk it is over.............
If it's about 10 years old then it's likely a 1st generation Pentium I running at 66-100Mhz. It could maybe run 2K but not very well.
so should i just gice up and throw it away?
re-install 98se on it.
Go into the BIOS and see if it detects the drive.
like i said before i tryed to install 2000/xp but it says "windows cannot continue because cannot detect any hardrives make sure they are cinnected"
Windows may not see the hard drive but how do you know the the BIOS doesn't detect it?
i have tryed messing with the setting nothing................................
littshepkid02 said:
like i said before i tryed to install 2000/xp but it says "windows cannot continue because cannot detect any hardrives make sure they are cinnected"

what is being said is that 2000/xp will never run on it.

i would stop trying to install 2000 or xp, and try to put 98 back on it.
Gah, why did I ask about SATA? Brain fart! I'm with Walt on this one, 2K and XP would murder that poor computer. 95 and 98 would play nicely.
well i tryed and it will not read the floppy disk peice of crap...lol :laugh: :laugh:
You do not need a floppy drive to install Win98. A legit Win98 install disk is a bootible CD. You may need to go into the BIOS and make sure the CD is the first boot device.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.