Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not very good at Linux yet. Also, after talking to some people about Linux, I hear my problems are common. Can anyone tell me how to fix them? My sound works fine half the time when I play a video. Other than that, it don't work at all. When I use Sndconfig, that detects it correctly, but when I go to test it, it makes the noise I posted here. Also, even as Root, I cannot get to my CD-RW because it is locked. How do I unlock it and get to it? I can't even play a Korn CD in it! Everything works fine outside Linux. Please... Help... Me... Here...:confused:

Attachments

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
I have RedHat 5.1 and I have the same problem: even under root, I can't play any cds or hear any sound....

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Is it detecting your sound card correctly and is the volume turned up in the control panel?

[edit]
Lectraplayer,
What do you mean its locked ? It wont open or it wont display contents of the drive or? (Have you mounted it?)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes!

TheTechIsIn said:
Is it detecting your sound card correctly and is the volume turned up in the control panel?

[edit]
Lectraplayer,
What do you mean its locked ? It wont open or it wont display contents of the drive or? (Have you mounted it?)
sndconfig correctly detects my sound card, but it plays that sound I posted when it tests it. The only noise I have been able to get out of it (besides that noise) is the audio for an AVI video. That's with all volumes maxed out! As far as my CD-RW drive, I can mount, unmount, crossmount, and tiemount it all I want and even that don't work. It says nothing there. When I try to access it (after I mounted it), it says I don't have rights to access it, not anything like not ready, like I would normally expect.:angry2: :upset: :sulk: :censore: (Radio Edited.) As far as the physical device, it works normally. If I hit the eject button, it will hand the disk over.

·
Registered
711 Posts
how is it mounted? primary slave, secondary master? I think I have a solution for the CDRW problem.

Sound wise.. sorry to ask again, but which soundcard do you have?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It all should work.

My RW (Hewitt Packard 9100 series) is on Secondary Slave (and is picked up by Linux, but remains locked. I can't even use Roaster! How do I make it work?:censore: My audio device is the Sis CMI8738/C3DX. Under Windows, it is detected as both a PCI Audio Device and a PCI Audio Legacy Device. Both are needed under Windows before it will work. Linux just calls it a CMI8738/C3DX. Could that be the problem? Will I need to "add" a new sound card & try to make it detect as a legacy device?

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm going to make a huge assumption here and say you're trying to use your burner when you're not logged in as root correct? CDRecord which is the burning tool in Linux (roast is just a frontend) requires it to be run as root, or... during setup you can configure it to work with non-root users.. If its generally locked all the time and you're not even able to mount it you might look at the following: Which is the permission set on my burner which is working :) I hope this helps.

0 brw-r----- 1 root disk 11, 0 Jul 18 1994 /dev/scd0

note that its setup as a SCSI device even though its an IDE burner.. is IDE-SCSI emulation running? This could be the source of the problem as well.

As far as the card goes.. I'm not sure. However I don't think I've asked you get. Open a shell and type the following:

"lsmod" without the quotes and post the output to the forums. I'd like to see whats loaded ... could help in determing your CDRW issue as well.

Drew

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Always assume I AM root.

I do everything as root. My question is "why isn't it working?" My IDE/SCSI emulator is active. I'll try your other suggestions ASAP.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Without seeing the output from lsmod and without sitting in front of your machine or seeing an complete error message that is given when you attempt to run a program, I can't tell you why its not working. I never assume someone is logged in as root since its a huge security risk so I apologize for my assumption.

At the promtp try typing this command also and see what you get.

cdrecord -scanbus

as with the lsmod command, please post your findings.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That IS a wise assumption.

gotissues68 said:
Without seeing the output from lsmod and without sitting in front of your machine or seeing an complete error message that is given when you attempt to run a program, I can't tell you why its not working. I never assume someone is logged in as root since its a huge security risk so I apologize for my assumption.

At the promtp try typing this command also and see what you get.

cdrecord -scanbus

as with the lsmod command, please post your findings.
I have heard about that security risk too. However Linux won't let me in the files unless I am root, among other things. It's just the way I use my computer. Here's what I got when I punched in lsmod (assuming it don't scramble when I post).

[[email protected] /root]# lsmod
Module Size Used by
parport_probe 3536 0 (autoclean)
parport_pc 7568 1 (autoclean)
lp 5552 0 (autoclean)
parport 7744 1 (autoclean) [parport_probe parport_pc lp]
usb-ohci 12624 0 (unused)
usbcore 43632 1 [usb-ohci]
cmpci 20960 1
soundcore 2800 4 [cmpci] // My Sound Driver
nls_cp437 3952 4 (autoclean)
vfat 9408 2 (autoclean)
fat 30432 2 (autoclean) [vfat]
supermount 14224 2 (autoclean) //This should also handle the CD-RW, right?
tuner 2960 1 (autoclean)
bttv 47952 0 (unused)
i2c-algo-bit 7696 1 [bttv]
i2c-core 11968 0 [tuner bttv i2c-algo-bit]
kcompat24 3872 0 [bttv]
videodev 2752 2 [bttv]
ide-scsi 7664 0 // This should allow the CD-RW to work, shouldn't it?
[[email protected] /root]#

·
Registered
711 Posts
There are the 4 modules you need loaded in order for your Burner to work.

ide-scsi 7696 0
sr_mod 11840 0 (unused)
sg 24672 0 (autoclean)
scsi_mod 81136 3 (autoclean) [ide-scsi sr_mod sg]

If you need assistance in setting the rest of that up let me know.

As far as your soundcard goes.. Soundcore is part of it, but there's an additional module that needs to be loaded for your specific card, it looks like thats taking place, however perhaps the driver isn't very good ... (this happens with open source.. ) I might suggest you try the Alsa sound drivers which I've heard much better success with.

At any rate. You burner needs the additional modules loaded, and your sound card looks like it "should" be working and I find it strange that its not. Try this command for me please.. I'd be curious to see the output.. again removing the quotes.

"cat /proc/pci"

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hmm, No Audio.

We may have something here. Though I'll post the output later, I didn't see my sound card listed. I'll try your driver suggestion in the meantime. When I tried it, I didn't see your driver suggestion. Everything I did try either caused a segmentation fault resulting in a core dump or Sndconfig said it didn't respond. What's that driver called again?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: CD-RW

An expert has gotten ahold of my CD-RW problem. Now, when I try to read a "Windows formatted" CD, it shows as empty. Is this normal? If anyone is wondering, the only CD I have tried so far is "Unreal, Return to Na Pali."

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was one of my supermount lines.

He found a line where my CD-RW driver was loaded as a "supermont" and put a pound in front of it. That made the "lock" error go away, but I can't see any files on the disk (after a restart). Shortly thereafter, he disappeared & I never could get with him to tell him what happened.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: Hmm, No Audio.

Lectraplayer said:
We may have something here. Though I'll post the output later, I didn't see my sound card listed. I'll try your driver suggestion in the meantime. When I tried it, I didn't see your driver suggestion. Everything I did try either caused a segmentation fault resulting in a core dump or Sndconfig said it didn't respond. What's that driver called again?
Here's my hardware output from "cat /proc/pci" which seems to not have my sound card listed. That may be why I don't have audio. You may recognize the "booktree" stuff as my TV tuner. Even without that, I can't get sound.

[[email protected] /root]# cat /proc/pci
PCI devices found:
Bus 0, device 0, function 0:
Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems 5597/5598 Host (rev 16).
Medium devsel. Master Capable. Latency=64.
Bus 0, device 1, function 0:
ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems 85C503 (rev 1).
Medium devsel. Master Capable. No bursts.
Bus 0, device 1, function 1:
IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems 85C5513 IDE (rev 208).
Fast devsel. Master Capable. Latency=128.
I/O at 0xfedffff8 [0xfedffff9].
I/O at 0xfbffbf7c [0xfbffbf7d].
I/O at 0xfe7bef78 [0xfe7bef79].
I/O at 0x2fffffec [0x2fffffed].
I/O at 0x4000 [0x4001].
Bus 0, device 1, function 2:
USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems 7001 USB (rev 16).
Medium devsel. Fast back-to-back capable. IRQ 11. Master Capable.
Latency=64.
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xffadf000 [0xffadf000].
Bus 0, device 9, function 0:
Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Bt878 2nd Contr. (?) (rev 2).
Medium devsel. Fast back-to-back capable. IRQ 10. Master Capable.
Latency=64. Min Gnt=16.Max Lat=40.
Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xff9fe000 [0xff9fe008].
Bus 0, device 9, function 1:
Multimedia controller: Brooktree Bt878 (rev 2).
Medium devsel. Fast back-to-back capable. IRQ 10. Master Capable.
Latency=64. Min Gnt=4.Max Lat=255.
Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xff9ff000 [0xff9ff008].
Bus 0, device 11, function 0:
Network controller: Compaq Netelligent 10/100 (rev 16).
Medium devsel. Fast back-to-back capable. IRQ 9. Master Capable.
Latency=64.
I/O at 0xf780 [0xf781].
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xffadeff0 [0xffadeff0].
Bus 0, device 13, function 0:
Multimedia audio controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 16).
Vendor id=13f6. Device id=111.
Medium devsel. IRQ 3. Master Capable. Latency=64. Min Gnt=2.Max
Lat=24.
I/O at 0xf200 [0xf201].
Bus 0, device 20, function 0:
VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems 5597/5598 VGA (rev
104).
Medium devsel. IRQ 10.
Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xff400000 [0xff400008].
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xffaf0000 [0xffaf0000].
I/O at 0xf400 [0xf401].
[[email protected] /root]#

·
Registered
711 Posts
Is it an integrated soundcard? After looking at the PCI output it occured to me that, it just might be that the card is on-board and not enabled in the BIOS, Linux see's it but can't directly access it so thats why you get the crazy sound when you try and test it.

Drew

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I guess that's why it don't work.

Now, how do I go about telling Linux how to use it properly? It is onboard. If we can solve this, one of the great mysteries of Linux will be solved.:rolleyes: Anyway, I really do appreciate this. I still want to attack the CD-RW issue. Thing is, CMOS has it enabled, otherwise not even Microshaft Winblows would be able to us it (and it is). Here's something better--Tell me what lines must go where so I know what to look for. I can navigate my way through, just tell me what line goes in what file.

·
Registered
711 Posts
OK so its enabled in the BIOS and windows see's it. I'm beginning to wonder if its a kernel level issue, which is what this is turning out to sound like.. I haven't played with a Drake kernel in ages.. if you know how to get into it and run setup.. I'd be happy to help walk you through it..
I forgot to ask, which chipset do you have?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.