Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I have an AMD 1600 XP on an ecs k7s5a motherboard 512MB Mem
when I start my pc the bios does not beep, the hard drives spin up the dvd and cd drives blink as they are checked, and reset and do it all over agian and again and so forth, the fans do spin on the case power supply and the heat sink on the processor but that is all no bios check, mem check monitor won't come on
I am trying to figure out if it is the motherboard, processor Bios
I unplugged all above drives from power and only had Video card (AGP) and processor and memory in the computer and still nothing, change memory with older set 256mb that used to be in it until I updated to 512mb. I did get it to work 1 time after I used compressed air (Dry) to clean the inside of the computer, saw the bios and mem info then it froze

Does anyone have a idea if the CPU is bad or Motherboard, I and happy with the 1.4 speed and do not really want to upgrade and I can still get the processor and Motherboard but I really do not want to buy both if not needed.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Before we get any deeper into this try a full BIOS reset (guide here).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did reset the Bios jumper on reset computer will not turn on, I put it back and still the same problem, tried 4 times, no luck

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
You haven't done a proper reset. If the jumper is in the "reset" position then, no, the system won't work at all (straight short circuit). Please read the guide I linked you to and follow it. Once done report back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I Will let you know tomorrow as I am at work and can not remove the battery and clear the bios as described in the manual link you sent me I will do that when i get home tonight, I will report back tomorrow, hopefully that will work

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Good one - I prefer to try the simple things first and then, if needed, move on to the more complex things.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did try 2 times one for 25 mins and another for 30mins I followed the directions in the link you sent no bat unplugged from power supply I printed out the directions to make sure I followed 100%
still no beep or video tried with and without drives connected no luck
Any thing else that I could try. Thanks for you help, I was hoping that the bios reset would work

Tonyzz

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Pity about that. The problem could be either CPU or mobo - I would be more inclined to suspect the mobo as CPUs are pretty near indestructable in normal use. The only real way to find out would be to test both in a different machine (or at least test the processor) and the culprit should then become clear.

If you are interested there is a very nifty little diagnostic card that plugs into either a PCI or ISA slot. It tracks and displays the boot process (via some LEDs) and from that you can actually see where the system is faulting. They are very useful when the system concerned is not getting any video. If you want one you should be able to find one on eBay. I bought mine via an old auction site and it's well and truly paid for itself. Cost me AUD$15.00 delivered.

EDIT: This is the one I have and it's a little ripper!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.