Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was going to try out a new photo program called focal point. But went I tried to open it, it said " Sorry, FocalPoint requires an OpenGL 2.0 compatible video card to run. Please upgrade your video card driver and try again.

So I have surcharged around on the web to see how to find out what video card I have. But I can't seem too find out how or what video card I have.

I have Windows Vista 32-bit

Please help,

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
720 Posts
Sounds like your video card doesn't support OpenGL. Download GPU-Z, it will tell you what video card you have.
Once you find out what card you have, post it here or post a screenshot of GPU-Z which would be more helpful.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
PC Specs?
Pre-Built Brand & Model Number
Custom Built-Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
7,670 Posts
Your computer uses Intel X3100 integrated graphics which does not support OpenGL 2.0. Looks like a hardware upgrade is required.

Pavilion a6220n Product Spec page

from Wikipedia:
GMA X3100

Information: The GMA X3100 is the mobile version of the GMA X3000 used in the Intel GL960/GM965 chipsets and also in the GS965 chipset. The X3100 supports hardware transform and lighting, up to 128 programmable shader units, and up to 384 MB memory. Its display cores can run up to 333 MHz on GM965 and 320 MHz on GL960. Its render cores can run up to 500 MHz on GM965 and 400 MHz on GL960. The X3100 display unit includes a 300 MHz RAMDAC, two 25–112 MHz LVDS transmitters, 2 DVO encoders, and a TV encoder. In addition, the hardware supports DirectX 10.0, Shader Model 4.0 and OpenGL 1.5.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Your Mobo has a PCI-E X16 slot so you can install a dedicated GPU but you will also have to upgrade the PSU.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. That sucks.

So that brings me to the next 2 questions. What is a GPU? Is it a Graphics Plug in card? And which graphics card would you recommend for a Graphic arts/Photo Guy.

If I upgrade to a new dedicated graphics card. Are you saying I have to get a new power supply too.

Thanks for all your help.

Steve http://pcsupport.about.com/od/componentprofiles/p/p_ps.htm

Your Mobo has a PCI-E X16 slot so you can install a dedicated GPU but you will also have to upgrade the PSU.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What does this mean? " *Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed"

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks for the info. That sucks.

So that brings me to the next 2 questions. What is a GPU? Is it a Graphics Plug in card? And which graphics card would you recommend for a Graphic arts/Photo Guy.

If I upgrade to a new dedicated graphics card. Are you saying I have to get a new power supply too.

Thanks for all your help.

Steve

·
Decessit
68,880 Posts
Gpu is the video card (plug in) and yes you will need to upgrade the power supply,integrated video would be part of the motherboard and share the system ram but if a dedicated card is installed you do not get the other option

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.