Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I had a buddy of mine build me a custom tower from the ground up. When he built it we put in a 20gb hd for the os and a 250gb for the slave. He set it up so that everything except those few program files that require being installed in the same hd as the os went to my slave. I have since lost touch with him and I recently had to do a clean install of my os to fix a glitch in the personalzation section. The glitch is fixed but the reg file we had set up to auto save/install to the slave reverted back to normal. I have been told this is a simple fix on 1 file but no one seems to know how to edit it. I tried google but was foiled. I dont have the 70 dollars my local shop wants to preform this. Can someone help or point me to a webpage with instructions? Thank you

OS- Windows 7 ultimate
RAM- 4 gb
PROCESOR- Intel Pentium 4 dual core 2.66 GHz
POWER - 420 watt

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, MVP
34,395 Posts
Hi -

What reg file are you referring to?

A clean install would have wiped everything from the HDD. All programs need to be reinstalled under the new OS, whether they are installed on the master or slave.

I would suggest that you install Windows 7 onto the 250 GB HDD as 20 GB for the Windows 7 OS + VSS/ System Restore is insufficient, IMO.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,754 Posts
Hi, suggest you follow JC's post no doubt your friend knew far more then you, without his help ... the reg key is :-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Setup\SourcePath

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ayyo! I was told it was easy, I was thinking open the reg file change the c to d and e done. I opened regedit and followed that path you gave me and forget that nonsense, I'm by no means helpless arround computers but thats just nuts in there. Thanks for your time guys. Sorry to have wasted it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.