Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Maxtor Model# 2b020h1 20GB IDE hard drive that had a main board smoke show, complete with a melted chip. I assume that the storage area is intact, and want to salvage data from the drive (mostly photos), but data recovery services charge more than I can justify for what I'll get back.

The drive is still under factory warranty, but that is just simple drive replacement, without data recovery. I've checked the web, and as the drives are basically obsolete, they are cheap and plentiful, which suggests the following question:

What is involved in swapping the electrical components, while leaving the mechanical storage guts in place? Can I lift out the board and motor as a single assembly and swap, or does such a swap involve SMD's (which I'm nor equipped to handle) or some other other specialized process?

I'd also welcome any suggestions about an established repair service who could do that swap for a reasonable flat rate.

Thanks!

-KS

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I have done this several times, and it's normally pretty easy to do. Many drives in the last few years have boards that are pretty easy to remove and replace. I keep any dead drives I get for the possibility that I'll need the PCB at some point. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.