Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's the situation. Reformatted the hard drive on a friends computer. O/S was originally Win95 but did the Win98 upgrade. Computer had been giving them problems (locking up continually & going into Safe mode). Did the reformat and am now unable to reinstall the O/S. I have a boot disk for Win98SE OEM and the Win98 Upgrade CD. Problem now is that when I turn the computer on, the monitor won't react. Can't fix what I can't see... Anyone have any solutions, suggestions, words of wisdom? Anything would help. Thanks.

·
retired
1,966 Posts
Well, it looks like a hardware failure (history and absence of beep codes).

Does the pc have a speaker inside the case?
Does the monitor's power LED change color or blink when pc turned on?

Try using another power supply, also check the mobo for deformed/leaky capacitors.

·
Banned
242 Posts
Help

it very well may be a problem with the hardware. you should probly check the boot-loader just to rule it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. I finally got it up and running and am able to go in to install the O/S. Now, the problem that I am having is when I run setup and put the disks in when prompted, it skips from disk 5 to disk 8 or 9, then tells me that "Setup has searched the specified directory but cannot find any of the qualifying products." Am I correct in installing 95 before doing the 98 upgrade? When setup starts, it is Windows 98 setup. It is giving me the message during the Upgrade Compliance Check. I have entered the product keycode on the previous screen that came on the 98 upgrade disk.

My other question is, can I install a newer O/S without having to upgrade to it from the original 95.

·
retired
1,966 Posts
You can use the 98 upgrade disk to do a clean install, it will stop and ask for proof and you put the 95 disk in so 98 can verify it then 98 continues setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.