Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a computer app. teacher for a small private school. We have about 25 wireless Dell laptops in the lab and then a dozen more throughout the school. Our Internet access keeps coming and going away. Bear with me while I explain what we have, or what I know.
We have a ISP that comes into the buiding. That phone line connects to a Linksys router on the first floor of the building. From there on the next two floors we have wired access points.
Some days when I come in we have Web access and some days we don't. The Admin. says that for some reason we are loosing the Mac address or IP address. He will fool around with it for half an hour and it's back up or we will boot the router and access points, then it may come back.
My question is this. How can we eliminate this mess with the Internet connection? I'm not that up on networking and the man that keeps it up is kind of set in his ways.
Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?
Thanks. :4-dontkno

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will be tomorrow before I can do that. I do know that the router is a Linksys, but the access points are unknown at this time. They do have a Dell "card" in them, so maybe they are Dell :4-dontkno .
Is it possible for them to loose their IP or Mac addresses? That seems to be the direction the Admin. is going here. Since we are a private school, the entire network is kind of piece mill. My print servers are Win. 98 and the File servers are Win. 2000 as is the OS on all of the laptops.
Does this help?

·
Registered
796 Posts
It is possible for the router to lose the IP address if it loses its connection with the ISP. This could be a possibility.

There are a couple of tricks I would try. First, if you go in tomorrow and the internet is down.... try pinging the router. If you can ping the router but can't get to the internet, then you have a big question answered and you may need to follow up with your internet provider.

It is not possible for the computer to lose its MAC address.... unless you are using MAC cloning software, the MAC address is a specific number tied to that device by the manufacturer... in fact, I think it is hard coded on the nic card.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What would be the procedure of pinging the router? I have heard of it but not sure how to do it.
Also would I need to ping the router from each laptop?

·
Registered
796 Posts
You would first need to find the IP of the router itself. You can do this very easily by going to start - run - and type cmd You will then type ipconfig /all

This will give you something like this:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Chris Jessee>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : mars
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : cinci.rr.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : cinci.rr.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapt
er(LNE100TX v4)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-41-E6-B2-FB
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.103
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 65.24.7.3
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, January 19, 2007 7:45:03 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, January 20, 2007 7:45:03 A
M

For example, the default gateway (in my case) is 192.168.1.1 This is the ip of the router. You may only be able to do this while the network is running normally...

To ping another computer or router, simply go to start - run and type cmd in the box. Next you will type ping <ipaddress> and simply hit enter. This will return either a response... or a timeout. A timeout means that you do not have connectivity with that router.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.