Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace / upgrade the storage on my Dell Vostro 3470 desktop PC from the installed 1TB HDD to an M.2 SATA SSD (as my PC doesn't support an NVMe SSD, as per Dell Tech Support). All Dell TS told me is as mentioned in the Service Manual too, i.e. it has a M.2 SATA 2280 port. But, when I checked the port on the motherboard, it has an M.2 port with the 'M' key connector (not the 'B' and 'M' connectors as a post in Dell Community forum mentioned). The motherboard also mentions 2230 and 2280 printed near the M.2 port though it has only one M.2 port. Hence, it's confusing what type of M.2 SATA SSD I should buy which will be fully compatible with my PC, as all SSDs are being sold on a non-returnable basis online in my region (India). Have attached a pic of the area near M.2 port on my motherboard for reference.

Any help on this will be much appreciated. TIA

Attachments

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @spunk.funk. I did come across another post on Dell website which mentioned the same / similar Samsung SSD as being compatible with Dell Vostro 3470 Desktop PC, but that has two notches (i.e. for both 'B' and 'M' key edge connectors) while in my M.2 slot (pic shared in original post) it clearly shows only one notch and slot for 'M' key edge connector, not for both 'B' and 'M' key edge connectors. Like in this one of Samsung -

Am not sure if I can buy such a SSD with BOTH 'B' and 'M' key edge connectors, i.e. by inserting it excluding 'B' key connector. Also, all M.2 2280 SSDs with just the 'M' key edge connector are NVMe SSDs which aren't compatible with my PC. The PCIe to SATA adapters do enable one to use an NVMe SSD but these adapters aren't of reputed or reliable brands, so am not sure I should consider this option, though it would enable me to use an NVMe SSD which is over 5 times faster than SATA SSDs. As all SSDs are being sold online on a non-returnable basis, I am extra careful to buy the one which would definitely work on my PC. There is no post on Dell Community website about anyone having used an M.2 SATA 2280 SSD of a particular brand, just general discussion going nowhere. Hence, thought I might get more help here.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i would go here DRAM, Solid State Drive (SSD) & Memory Upgrades and have it scan your computer it should show you what m2 you need.
@oscar1 I ran the scan and it shows only 2.5" SSDs which means I will have to remove my 1Tb HDD to fit this one. I would prefer using an M.2 2280 SATA SSD so I can retain my HDD as well. I am willing to consider an NVMe SSD too, provided I get a good NVMe to SATA Adapter of a good brand. At least that would enable me to use any NVMe SSD without worrying about B or M key connectors.

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I came across this adapter listed online - Verilux NVIDIA Dual M.2 PCIE Adapter for SATA or PCIE NVMe SSD,M.2 SSD NVME (m Key) and SATA (b Key) 22110 2280 2260 2242 2230to PCI-e 4.0 x 4 Host Controller Expansion Card 256 MB GDDR5 Graphics Card - Verilux : Flipkart.com

Would this work in my PC ? Seems this will also help me buy a M.2 2280 SSD with both B & M key connectors, as also any NVMe SSD (all come with M key connector only). I believe there is a slot on my motherboard (pic in 1st post) where this adapter will fit in.

Seems I can't use the kind of adapter shown here - Verilux NVIDIA NVME Adapter PCIe x16 with Gel Pad, M.2 NVME or AHCI SSD to PCIE 3.0 Adapter Card for Key M 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 Size M.2 SSD, Support PCIe x4 x8 x16 Slot 256 MB GDDR5 Graphics Card - Verilux : Flipkart.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts