Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need help my windows live messenger wasnt working so i uninstalled it and went to install it again and now it comes up with an error code 1603 sayin the install cannot finish. I looked up the error and followed what it said doing a disk clean up and tried turning off any spyware programs i had to see if that worked and it didnt so does any1 else know what i can do to fix it its driving me crazy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i tried instaling it i safe mode and i got a different error code it was error code 1601 :| i dont know what it is can someone tell me

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
It appears your problem is well-documented. Here is one of several Google hits I found:

http://www.bigblueball.com/forums/msn-messenger-support/17420-error-code-1601-1603-solutions.html

The situation is that for as wide-spread as the problem seems to be, there is no magic-bullet cure. Which means you are going to have to do some trial & error.

Read the whole of the posts in the link provided, and see if you can find a situation that most-resembles yours and try the fix suggested. Note that there are 12 pages of posts. In these situations, I always read the thread forward thoughout, then backward and try the latest fixes first.

Make note that certain AV programs may interfere with the installation, such as Ad-Aware and also I would assume Spybot as both prevent registry changes. It is for this reason that I would always attempt a new install in Safe Mode, no matter what other steps a particular suggestion may be.

The only other thing I can think of to add is to make sure that the MSN installation is completely removed before reinstalling it, as frequently corrupt elements of the bad installation do not always get over-written during the reinstallation process. Often, a re-boot in between the uninstallation and the reinstallation is a good idea.

And as general steps, it is always good to:
run chkdsk
update virus definition files & run malware scans
make sure Windows Update is current

before embarking on any major operation, as these general fixes can sometimes solve the problem without you having to know exactly what the problem is.

Good Luck

Girderman

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanx heaps im going threw them all now tryin them none have worked so far but i will be bak if they all dont but hopefully one will thanx again xxx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.