Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem in that I installed an ATI All-In-Wonder video card and it works fine but now my computer locks upo when I try to plug anything into one of the USB ports. I believe it is an IRQ conflict yet Windows does not report any conflicts. Device Manager won't let me reassign any IRQs either. Any ideas?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
This doesn't sound like an IRQ conflict, but you might try disabling the video interrupt in the BIOS, most versions have that option.

·
Registered
336 Posts
you can check for IRQ conflicts by going to Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Information/Hardware/IRQ.

Is there any X or ! next to your USB in Device Manager?...you might try reinstalling the driver for the USB device.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First of all thanks for the help. Second it should be obvious now that I am no expert on this but not foolish enough to claim I am.
I checked both suggestions and found that I did not assign an IRQ for the video card. Next when I looked at hardware conflicts, there were none marked in red however IRQ 10 was used 7 times and IRQ 11 was listed 5 times. (one of which is the video card) The balance (majority) are used by the USB ports. I can't check it with any devices plugged into the USBs because it will lock up as soon as I do. What else can I check? Thanks again. Jeff

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
It's normal for IRQ's to be shared on the PCI bus, so this isn't necessarily a problem. You can try moving some of the PCI cards to different slots, this sometimes solves issues like this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:D Gentlemen;
Thanks for the help! I changed the video card to another empty PCI slot which also changed the IRO and everything works perfectly now. I am thrilled! Thanks again, perhaps I can return the favor someday. If not you, maybe I can help someone else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.