Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang: I am a newbie at the computer scene.
I really need help!!!!
I have a:
HP Pavilion with a AMD 300mhz
256 meg ram PC-100
20 gig hard drive
AT&T cable modem
Whenever I run the Microsoft Internet Explorer, after about 2-5 minutes on line I get the following message:

Iexplore caused a general protection fault in module user.exe at 0003:00001022 etc . :upset:

I then click on close and the entire internet explorer closes and I need to start over.
I have done the following:
Run the latest anti-virus update, the AV did not find any virus, etc.
I have remove and reinstall internet explorer 6.0 & service pk 1
I have replace the 256 meg ram with newly purchased ones
Yet the error message continues.
Please help this newbie!!!! I need a fix ASAP

Thanks again for your help, this support forum is the greatest.
Steven

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hmm. I was going to say try re-installing Internet Explorer, but you've already done that. Perhaps user.exe is corrupted, somehow... the only way to fix this (if this is indeed the problem) is to reinstall Windows...

·
Registered
15 Posts
btw... what version of Windows are you running? IE6 SP1 doesn't work properly with version prior to 98 Second Edition. (But then again, I don't think it will let you install it on older versions, either). You may also consider going toWindows Update site to see if they have a patch...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Arlonharrisoon77:
Thanks for your post, do you know what the user.exe does?
If it is corrupted, where would I go to reinstall the corrupted file?
The IT guy at my company said that it is one of the more difficult errors to fix:
1. Maybe AOL is conflicting with the Internet Explorer
2. There could be several possibilities of corruption that could be causing the error.
3. IT guy said since I have such an old computer, it will be cheaper to buy a newer basic computer online through Dell.
Thanks again for your input.
Steven

·
Registered
15 Posts
User.exe is part of the windows subsystem... the only way to repair this is to take your Windows disks and reinstall windows. Of course, if AIM is causing the conflict, upgrade. Version 5.2.3292 is available.. Also, I would check the Windows Update site to see if there is a patch available to help with your error. I posted the link in the last post.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi AHarrison77:
Thanks for your info, I am running windows 98 (1st or 2nd edition), I am not sure. Anyway, I had an original hard drive with all of the original software and data that I put into a slave drive mode, I purchased a new hard drive and made it the master. I have disconnected the new master hard drive which is giving me all the trouble and converted the slave back to the master.
I am now back at square one, the good thing is I am not getting any error messages. I can use this temporarily until I purchase a new computer.
Thanks again for all of your input. This tech group is the greatest.
Steven.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Try a windows update & then run a program called AddWare. It is free & can be dowmloaded at www.lavasoftusa.com
Download this program & it removes spyware. If these 2 things do not help, if you have a windows instalation disk, insert it into the cd-rom & click on my computer. Then click on your cd rom drive. Then when you see what programs are on the cd rom click on setup. This will install windows on top of itself & in other words, fill in the gaps. If all this does not work, you will have to reinstall windows...Hope this helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.