Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi, I use Ubuntu 9.10 myself so I'm fairly familiar with the OS.

However, I'm wired through a router so I've never dealt with Wireless on Ubuntu before.

I got 8.10 installed just fine on a computer yesterday but I have no clue how to get the wireless card they use to work so they can get online. Any help please?

Eric

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
Ubuntu 9.10 has a far better collection of ready available wireless drivers. I have several and they would not be recognised under older Linux modules but they all seem to be running under 9.10.

Download and burn the new CD and give it a trial run

·
Manager, - Alternative Computing, - Design
6,530 Posts
Hi,

Do you want to save anything on your computer or are you going for the clean sweep? If you want just a clean sweep then all you have to do is put the cd in your drive and restart your computer. The computer will see it, start the Livecd and you can start the isntaller after making sure that everything works.

If you want to save stuff let us know what you want to save and there are a couple of ways to save things. I don't know how much you know about tar or how often you use the Terminal, but we can help you with it. If you want more info on tar and some basic information have a look at Beginner's Guide to Linux Desktops Backups: Basic Strategies and Tools.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
Quite frequently when the distro sees a newer version of the CD in the drive it will ask if you want to start the package manager to update from the CD. If there are no files you want to save from the existing install, you could just answer yes. You have nothing to lose but time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
wmorri,

I put the CD in the drive and restarted the computer but it just loaded up Ubuntu 8.10 and completely ignored the CD. I made sure the computer was set to load the CD before the hard-drive which is how I got the computer to recognise the Ubuntu 8.10 CD in the first place and get that installed over Windows.

Done_Fishin,

The package manager did not notice the CD in the drive and did not do anything.

I spoke with who I'm helping get his computer fixed and he said that he already called an ISP and he's going to just go with Internet through them. Therefore I see once he's online just having to upgrade to the latest distrobution that way.

Eric

·
Manager, - Alternative Computing, - Design
6,530 Posts
Hi,

When you said that you burned it to a CD, did you create a bootable cd or did you just put the files on the the cd, there is a difference. You need to burn the files on the cd so that it will create a LiveCD. Then you will be able to boot from the cd when you restart your computer.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
Bluepop i have sent you two private messages asking you to refrain from posting urls in your posts. I am now deleting those same URL's from another 2 posts in this thread whilst giving you this public warning.
Please refrain forthwith from advertisng your and anybody elses site on this forum unless it has direct bearance on the question or help in hand

Thank you

done_fishin said:
I repeat my earlier message to you about the inclusion of url's in your posts.

I am deleting again the url's you have used in your latest response for help. They have nothing to do with your request.

Please follow the advice given earlier

thanks

done_fishin said:
hi
I have taken the liberty of removing this part of your posts

www.******.com
http:**********.com

linking on posts is considered spamming and can lead to banning

please do not place any direct or indirect links inside your posts or your signature unless it has a direct bearing on answering someones queries or supports your own

thanks for your understanding
please read the rules

http://www.techsupportforum.com/rules.php

especially this part here
SPAMMING

The definitions of spamming are endless but the most common appears to be "to indiscriminately send unsolicited, unwanted, irrelevant, or inappropriate messages, especially commercial advertising in mass quantities".

TSF provides a free service to users who need assistance and as such it is forbidden to advertise products, services, or web sites in order to derive personal benefit, either directly or indirectly.

We have an advertising forum where selected advertisements may be placed.

You may also NOT place affiliate, live or dead links for purposes of advertising or for any other purpose (other than when assisting a user) in any post or in your signature.

NOTE: Citing free support at your own or another forum is not a mitigation for having a live or dead link to such a forum in your signature.

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
With regards creating a live cd from the iso file

right cllick on the iso file
select open with pointing to your CD burner software

the burner software should then open the iso and burn it to the CD as an image rather than a single file.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Done_Fishin,

I apologise for the links in my signature. I did not know I had unread messages and therefore had not read what you sent me.

On another note, I did try what you told me to do and it worked on another computer, so not I know how to do it. That was helpful. I will note that for future distros.

Eric

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.