Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I am running WinXP SP2 and a nvidia 6800gt video card with 2 dvi outputs. I have a monitor hooked up to each one of them. I would like to be able to have 2 monitors side by side for one of the users, and just one monitor, with the other turned off for the other user. Is this possible?

Any time I try to change the display settings (right click on desktop, then properties), it seems to change them for both of the users. Same thing for the nview utility, whatever I set for one user, automatically aplies for the other user. I think I could get it set up if I used the Nview profiles, but I cannot get them to apply to different user profiles. They seem to stick to the whole PC as well. If only there was a way to apply an nview profile via an exe or a bat file... Does anyone know of such a thing?

Both users are administrators, by the way.

Thanks.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
I use 2 monitors and switch between single and dual mode regularly using Ultramon.

Is there any reason why you can't just switch off the second monitor when required, without having to change any settings?

Are you making the changes in nview when logged on as the appropriate user or are you doing both users from your own admin account?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason for not simply switching off the second monitor is that the user I am trying to set it up for is not very computer savy, and always gets her cursor lost in that invisible monitor. Yet, she feels that the second monitor is distracting. (Opposite of my opinion)
I do the nview settings for each user from their respective windows profile, but if I am not mistaken, it makes no difference, since nview stays with the changes made, even if I log on to a different account.

Thank you for the reply, and I will check out that program.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
:grin: I do the same thing sometimes, losing the cursor on the switched off monitor while still in dual mode.

If you install UltraMon, it places an icon in the system tray. To switch modes, right-click the icon and select Enable or Disable Secondary.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Another way to switch modes with UltraMon is to assign a hotkey instead of using the systray icon to enable/disable. See Options > Hotkeys tab. This might be easier than right-clicking the systray icon for a non-techy user.

You can set any key to be the hotkey (in combination with Alt/Ctrl/Shift) or just use one of the F keys with no other key combo needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.