Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my gaming PC so far:
mobo
cpu
psu
and an nVidia 6800GT 256mb.
I play alot of BF2 and do alot of 3D modeling and animating so I need alot ram. I've found 4 that I like and are compatible with my mobo, so here they are:
ram 1
ram 2
ram 3
ram 4
My question is, which set of ram would be the best for gaming and animating?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
My vote goes with MGOLDB2 and the OCZ ticket !!

I think as a serious gamer and antimated video stuff you should seriously rule OUT 512MB sticks !!!!!

because as a gamer you gonna want more than 1 gig of ram so inorder to get beyond 1 gig you would have to run four slots to get to the two gigs and BEYOND / to stay in dual channel mode you would have to run two matched pairs

One matched pair of 1 gig sticks will outperform 4 x 512 sticks during gaming !! and I dont believe you would ever use more than 2 gigs of memory so why the need to populate all four slots ?????? the choice to populate all four slots just increases your chances for memory incompatibilities and other quirks !!

For optimum performance choose the link Gold gave ya !!

By the way / decent PSU I only looked at your ram links and cpu links / I was hoping you didnt throw in a junk PSU once you started adding up the cost of your next adopted child HAL

regards

joe

·
Registered
604 Posts
linderman did a good job of covering why you should get 2X1gb but you might still be confuse why I chose the OCZ over your ram 3 and 4 choise.

Well it becuase it cheaper and better the the corsair you chose. Both you corsair you chose was 3-4-4-8 and the more expensive one was 3-3-3-8. The first number being the most important and the lower the better. THe OCZ ram I chose is 2-3-2-5. OCZ is a very reliable brand also. In the end if you get the OCZ you are paying less money for better ram.

·
Registered
209 Posts
i play bf2... alot and i have my problems with it, but ram is not a problem.
bf2 uses about 540mb of ram, theirfor u want 768 or greater, if your gonna buy that expensive stuff you should atleast get 1gb. and like these guys are saying, even with 4 slots, 2x1gb may be a good investment for later. i also use 3dsmax7, which uses about 300mb on your average model, but lets say you open up a bf2 map in 3ds... your gonna want 2gb of ram
ide go with these, the heat spreader should let it last as long as any of the really expensive ram.
honestly my opinion on that expensive ram, is
if you ram takes 15ms to respond instead of 5ms, do u really notice 10ms. not really. but do u notice a lack of 50$?
if it has a heat spreader, it should last as long as youll need it to.
ide get these,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820221133

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.