Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I know that this probably sounds basic but I've never built a computer before and I'm going to try and attempt this. I have my A+ so I guess this will be good experience for me. My question is, in relation to the computer case fans that you install to keep the inside of the pc cool, which way do they fit? I got myself a couple of 80mm case fans and there's no label as to which way they secure to the case. Any assistance much appreciated. Thanks. Andrew

·
TSF - Enthusiast
7,670 Posts
Most fans may be used for intake or exhaust; a matter of only switching its orientation to reverse the airflow. As a minimum, you should have one fan (intake) mounted low on the front of the case and one (exhaust) mounted high on the back. Optionally, you may mount other fans in the side panels (intake or exhaust), bottom (intake) and top (exhaust). All of these are in addition to that in the power supply.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
One in front blowing "IN" and one in the rear blowing "OUT".
120MM fans move more air more efficiently and quietly if your case will accept them.
Fans mounted in other areas (top-side) can do more harm than good by causing turbulence that disrupts the airflow. Experimentation is the only way to determine that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most fans may be used for intake or exhaust; a matter of only switching its orientation to reverse the airflow. As a minimum, you should have one fan (intake) mounted low on the front of the case and one (exhaust) mounted high on the back. Optionally, you may mount other fans in the side panels (intake or exhaust), bottom (intake) and top (exhaust). All of these are in addition to that in the power supply.

Hi gcavan:) Thanks for that information, that's a great help. Andrew

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One in front blowing "IN" and one in the rear blowing "OUT".
120MM fans move more air more efficiently and quietly if your case will accept them.
Fans mounted in other areas (top-side) can do more harm than good by causing turbulence that disrupts the airflow. Experimentation is the only way to determine that.

Hi Tyree, many thanks for that information, that's great. Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.