·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
config:

Motherboard: P5L-MX
1gb DDR2
WinXP Pro w/ SP 2

i am trying to install a maxtor 200gb ata drive as additional storage drive. My boot drive is a 250gb sata. when i installed the maxtor, the bios and win xp only recognize it as 32gb. I tried installing it with maxblast(maxtor install software) in DOS environment and the software would reconize the whole 200gb and would format and partition it. But when i re-boot xp will not recognize the drive and needs to be formatted again and it only sees 32g.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
no clj, made sure jumper is on master.. its attached as eide primary master and a dvd rom as ide slave. it was never formatted as fat32. when booting from maxtor install cd(maxblast) it recognizes the 200gb and formats it but when i boot up win xp doesnt acknowledge it and when i try to reformat it at win xp environment it only recognizes 32gb. win xp disc mgmt only recognizes 32gb

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no its not new. its from my old computer as a slave drive mostly for storage and it was formatted ntfs. it was formatted with ddo. but since i had this reformatted several times and ddo banner does not come up anymore it shouldnt have ddo anymore? i dont think the motherboard needs ddo to recognize it.. the motherboard recognized the sata drive to full capacity

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
a P5 motherboard computer does not need DDO as is proven by the fact that Sata drive is recognised to full capacity

I would wipe and erase the drive with boot n nuke I have seen this problem many times, file fragments remaining intact that hinder the reformat process, re formatting does not erase data, it only prepares a small area of the drive for new partitions and set-up etc!

use this: (free)
http://dban.sourceforge.net/

its slow: about one hour to wipe & erase 20 gigs but after this is complete you will be able to format your drive

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i will try these when i get home im actually at work right now. thanks a bunch for your help so far :)

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I dont know your level of computer expertise

if you are rather experienced >>>> then type the "manual" mode when in boot n nuke console >>> choose the drive we are discussing and start the boot n nuke process on that

if you are hesitant >>>> then I suggest you unplug the power plugs from any hard drives you dont want erased then boot into the boot n nuke program and choose auto nuke

you must be somewhat careful boot n nuke has the ability to wipe multiple drives if you command such by accident :mad:

if you remove any drive power plugs; make sure the computer is powered down

sorry if I am giving 101 classes to an experienced user ?????? I have no way of knowing ? :laugh:

·
Registered
1 Posts
config:

Motherboard: P5L-MX
1gb DDR2
WinXP Pro w/ SP 2

i am trying to install a maxtor 200gb ata drive as additional storage drive. My boot drive is a 250gb sata. when i installed the maxtor, the bios and win xp only recognize it as 32gb. I tried installing it with maxblast(maxtor install software) in DOS environment and the software would reconize the whole 200gb and would format and partition it. But when i re-boot xp will not recognize the drive and needs to be formatted again and it only sees 32g.
Yep...I'm having exactly the same problem. I just got a 200gb IDE hard drive full of movies and videos from my friend and when i connected it to my comp it appeared as corrupt. Whenever I tired accessing the hdd Windows asked me if i want to reformat....so i used data recovery software to recover the data that could be recovered before i formatted the hdd. After i formatted my hdd windows only recognised 32 out of 200gb.:mad:
I’ll try using that nuke program as you suggested and i’ll report back

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.