Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My comp is about 8months old and Iam having some problems this is my first Custom PC and not sure if Ive done something wrong or what.

System Specs

Case: ThermalTake XaserIII
MotherBoard: Soyo Dragon Ultra (Black Edition)
Cpu: Amd Athlon 2100+
Memory: 512 DDR pc2100
Heatsink: Volcano 7
Video Card: GeForce4 Mx 64meg
HD: Maxtor 40gig HD

Now my problem is this about a month ago my registry became corrupted somehow and I had to formatt. Thats when All the trouble begand afterward I started getting real slow preformance after rebooting. I would check and my cpu would be running at 866mhz where as it should be running at 1.73GHZ
Anyhow I tried reseting CMOS and everytime it brings things back to normal but only for a time after a few restarts it does the same thing. Anyone have ANY idea why its doing this. I dont know a whole lot about PC's and iam trying to learn so any help and advice would be more than welcome.

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
Are you letting your BIOS manage power settings for you? (IE shutdown monitor, harddrive, sleep?)

If not, check your control panel options for power management and make sure your computer is being treated like a laptop to conserve battery. Just a guess to start you looking.

Also, go look for an av tool from symantec or fsecure called klezfix.exe. If your av is not running this would also be an indication of the klez virus.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Be sure to flash to the newest version of BIOS.
Ensure that both power leads to the motherboard are connected well.
Check the BIOS settings and power management, as idtent suggested.

If none of that helps, my guess is the power supply is messed up somehow. My first system recently went nuts with its clock speed facing similar low speeds. This was my power supply going out, so instead of replacing the power supply I built a new system.

What kind of power supply do you have, and what's the wattage?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Myself, I enjoy running multiple hard drives whenever possible, but on the drive where Windows is installed, I try my best to keep it at a minimum.
Using partitions, you can partition Windows XP primary drive to 5 gigs, then the rest used for programs and storage.

Partition Magic will do that, and transfer files from small area to large area as well.

After that.. and backups are complete.....
download newest latest Bios. set up to upgrade.
install small HDD, 5 gig to 10 gig, fdisk.
Try complete format of HDD,

flash your bios, setup your bios to how you want it.

Go in and install Windows, setup your programs to install to secondary drive.

IF you can, try to back up your important files, docs, etc. to CD prior to doing all this.
Remember email, favorites, bookmarks, personal documents, game saves, and then the exe installation files.
Mark the CD or CD's as backup and date when completed.
That is for software....
AS for hardware, how much dust do you have accumalated...
Anoteher nightmare thought...
Have you thought maybe a virus..? run a good 2-3 virus check programs.. If you bios can be flashed and changed by software, then certainly a virus can change your bios as well.

That is the reason for and the reason why...
Fdisk, Format, flash bios...
Then install Windows, and first before other programs install your virus check progams, with latest download upgrades....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Side thought:

After you have your system up and running, after the above,
You have completed all of the upgrades, and installations...
All of your backup cd's that you saved prior to, run virus check on those as well. if something is infected, you do NOT want it to carry over and reinfect.

Some virus programs will permit to quaranteen infected files to where you can access others but not that one on a CD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.