Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm rather good at fixing computers, especially at building them from scratch, so a friend of mine at work gives me her laptop and asks if I can do anything for it.... like spyware removal, virus check, basic stuff... I think - easy!

-I'm always screwed when I say that!...

-so, it's a Dell Inspiron 8100 (rather old...) Pentium 3... and as far as I can tell, some of the boot files in c:\windows got corrupted somehow... but the computer can't detect any CD drive installed, although the little light is blinking, ect... BASICALLY, right after beginning to start windows, I get the blue screen of Death - windows has shut down to prevent damage to the computer, uninstall any newly added software, and restart... So, besides that, I can't alter any BIOS settings either, like it just won't let me! - I've updated the bios to the newest version, but since I can't use a CD drive, and it won't boot from the hard drive, what would be my next step?

-I know she doesn't want to have to buy anything for the computer - she doesn't have a lot of money right now...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you at least tried to boot from a bootable CD? If it will let you boot from the CD, you may just need to restore the Windows files.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, forgot to mention some more details... my bad... I can't alter any BIOS settings - what so ever. Also, in the BIOS, it detects that there is a cd drive present, but it can't boot from it, nor recognize anything in it... also, I can't boot in safe mode, or any of the options in F8 startup...

-I've tried booting from Norton, Win 2000, and Win XP disks - all failed because it doesn't detect any disk in the drive (actually, doesn't even detect the drive while posting) - checked all connections, and cleaned them - so that's all good...

-I will try resetting the CMOS tonight... but where would your guess be as to the whereabouts of the battery on the mainboard? I had everything apart yesterday and didn't stumble across it anywhere...

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
viperos said:
Also, in the BIOS, it detects that there is a cd drive present, but it can't boot from it, nor recognize anything in it...
Sounds like the drive is bad

But because of this

viperos said:
-I know she doesn't want to have to buy anything for the computer - she doesn't have a lot of money right now...
It looks like your SOL.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
greetings this is a laptop, correct?

try unplugging the power connector...taking out the backup power battery...remove the hard drive and memory, and let it set for an hour.

there should be access compartments underneith for the parts.

post back

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
in other words: reset the mainboard?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.