Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I currently connect 1 desktop PC to Wanadoo Broadband via a speedtouch ADSL USB Modem.

I have a new laptop coming my way, and heres what I need:

Currently my PC connects to the internet using a modem, but there is no phone socket near my PC so a wire runs through half the house which is quite annoying.
I want to setup a wireless network, I want to use a Wireless ADSL Modem Router that will always be on and connected to the internet in a room downstairs, and for the my PC and Laptop to connect to the router via a wireless network.

Can this be done?
If so, what kind of hardware package do I need?
And, can you recommend any specific packages?

Thanks.

Daniel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There is of course some options. The typical package, i would use, would be a 2 antenna wireless router (NetGear and D-Link) connected to your ADSL Modem (using an Ethernet/LAN cable)

And for each computer you would need a wireless network card (also available at NetGear and D-Link). A laptop uses a card that connects through the PCMCIA/CardBus whereas a computer of course connects through the PCI slot, so when choosing cards make sure they are compatible (finding out the hard way is annoying :)).

Once you have chosen which hardware best suite you (netgear and dlink are just examples) and you have installed them, the software bundled in the package will guide you through the steps that each card and router needs.

If you have any other questions, just post :)

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Since the ADSL modem doesn't have an Ethernet connection, I'd suggest you shop for a wireless ADSL modem/router, the previous solution has that flaw. :smile:

The D-Link DSL-G604T would do the trick for the router end.

I'm guessing that the new laptop may already have wireless capability, if so it's all set. You'll need a wireless adapter for the desktop machine, the D-Link DWL-G520 is one option.

These are only some possibilities, you really just need an ADSL modem/router combination and 802.11g capability on the client end, and there are dozens of possibilities.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
hey daniel grant,

on your laptop, just like the other post said, double check to make sure there is/not a built-in wireless nic installed.

to check right click on my computer -> click on properties -> click on hardware -> then click no device manager -> then expand network adapters and there you can check if you have a wireless nic installed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.