Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently have an "Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family" integrated chip that is fairly decent for having come with a new Dell. It is a 128 MB size memory. But I now have got games that this chipset cannot handle without the frames freezing or other stuff. So, I need a new card that can run Half-Life 2, Counter Strike: Source, America's Army, and Doom 3 with the textures tuned to at least Normal graphics. All this time I've been having to tune textures, etc., down to it's lowest in order for gameplay to be smooth, but even still my card runs slower than hay on certain scenarios or levels that demand big cards even when they're turned as low as can go. So what card can I get that would run all these games without problems? Money is somewhat of an issue though, I can really only afford to spend about $150-$180, so I was hoping eBay would have to do, even though it's quite risky. Also, I want a card with at least 256 MB Memory, that will fit inside my Dell Dimension 4700. Any suggestions as to a card that won't make me go broke?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I've heard about that too, it's just, how can I find out how many watts my computer is running on? In order to be safe with a new video card.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have one of those APC Power Chutes so I went to go check my watt output on it with my system. I watched it and it looked like about 95-130 watts... is that really bad? CUz from what I know I think it is. Also, there was a bar from 0-210 watts and mine was at about 120 sometimes, but, if the maximum watts I can get is 210, then how am I supposed to run a video card that needs 300 watts?!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Er... adding the 30% to 227 I came up with approx. 303 watts of power recommended MINIMUM to run my system. Uh...was my APC Back-UPS correct when it said I was running on about 95-180 watts typically? But my maximum output on the bar said 210 watts, so even if I could get more than 180 watts, 210 watts was max? If 303 watts is recommended for my computer how can it even RUN on 180?? Is there another way I can test the output wattage that is coming to my computer, for sure? If I am not getting enough power to my computer, what would you recommend doing? Okay, I have two outlets with a splitter of about 4 plug-ins coming off all them combined. So I only have 4 plug-ins. Running off of those 4 plug-ins I have 2 surge bars, running two different computers. Could this cause power supply to go down because I'm only running off two outlets?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.