Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all im new here and figure id give this a shot and maybe someone can help me out.

I have a Netgear WGR614V6 router hooked up to a Webstar cable modem, our phone line hooks up to this as well and part of Time Warners setup we got, orginally it was wireless but my sisters computer which is upstairs wasnt getting a good signal, even with my dads and mine sitting right next to the router we werent getting the speed we should be getting.

So I took the receivers off and ran a line to her computer, my dads and mine aswell, we got better speed and stuck with that. A few months ago we decided to get turbo for an extra $10 to boost our speed, we were getting from 5kbps to 6kbps download and a 385 upload before we made the change.

The person told us the speeds we should expect would be around 12kbps to 14kbps, so they said they flipped the switch and we seen some increase but not much, so we gave it time and started to see some speed increase but not what we was suppose to be getting.

Latley our speed hasnt been doing what its suppose to be doing, I live in Ohio we have Time Warners RoadRunner Cable, whats funny is this was my results I tested a minute ago to Cincinnati which isnt very far from where I live. The second test is to Chicago, how come I get a better download and upload to a place 250 miles away compared to a place thats only a 45min drive away.

We had a tech come out from time warner yesterday, he seemed to not see anything wrong with it, but I beg to differ I know we should be getting a better speed and should stay up to par, it seems our net speed drops and goes up then drops. I have a cuzin with threes computers and the same setup I beleive and he gets 13,000kbps to 14,500kbps download and 740 upload just about everytime he test his speed. The places we try our speeds are speedtest.net, speakeasy.net and one sight my dad uses I couldnt tell you the name of.

What made this funny was we had this guy come out and told him what were seeing, he showed us a sight that boost our speed or something and all the sudden we was getting our 11kbps to 14kbps download but we always seem to have the same upload, around the 700's on all the speed test sights when he was there but now the speeds are all back down to junk now lol makes no sense.

I went to another tech support forum and the info the guy gave me was good but found another problem, my big question is everybody should have the same internet speed on there computer right or close to the same speed ? last night I tested our speed and my sisters computer is only getting 1,233kbps download and 333 upload but my computer and my dads was getting around 7,000kbps download and 723 upload.

We all use XP, but I have probably the most exspensive computer rig setup for gaming, my sisters rig is setup for gaming and not a bad setup and my dads is old but setup for gaming, can everyone having different computers effect the speed of the internet or the network.

Would getting a different router maybe help? or maybe redo the router network and how would that be done?

Well hope someone can figure out something from the jibberish ive typed and makes some sense, hope to hear back from someone who has any idea on this thank you.

Brandon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey johnwill, I went there and registered but says it cant ping my IP so I tried to bypass it and force the test but it doesnt go anywhere. have any other ideas or websites I could try for similier test?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok, I unhooked the router from the modem and hooked my computer to the modem and here are my results. Same place speedtest.net and I tested same loactions which was cincinnati and the second one is Chicago.

I did this for my sisters as well but still got crappy download and upload this way, I ran pcpitstop and noticed the speed was unusual so I did what it told me to do in the registry and BAM! she is running same speeds but this is only with the computer connected directly to the cable modem, so could the router be the problem still not getting our speed our correctly? its there just not getting sent out good.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Status check:

Wired directly to the modem, both machines work fine.
When connected to the router, they don't?
Both machines are on a wired connection?
Download speeds are poor when connected to the router for either machine.

If all of the above is true, try this.

Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on.

• Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
  • Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
  • Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
  • Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
  • Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
  • Boot the computer.
When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.