Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this drive from my dad, it worked fine when he had it, he just didn't need the functionality. It works okay with DVDs, but it refuses to accept CDs, even commercial ones, to the point of not even saying it has anything in it's tray. It makes a revving noise, then a skipping noise as it trys to read the CD. And yes, I've tried the MS registry fudge.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
updating the firmware is one option. you can get the necessary info here. i suppose the device manager shows no problems with any of the hardware?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just double-checked, and I somehow managed to miss a firmware revision. But even now, with the latest firmware, I have the same problems. And no, the device manager does not display any errors.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
when the drive starts to play only certain discs, i'd guess that it is faulty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know that that is a possibility, but a friend of mine has said that DVD drives use a different laser to read CDs, and that that laser might have gotten dusty. Is this possible? And if it is, is there any way to fix it?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
i've seen discs with little brushes attached on the underside, designed to brush the lens clean. i've also heard that these invariably scratch the lens as well. there are plenty to be found online, but i didn't come across a good image of one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The DVD and CD-R are different parts of the same unit. The average life of the NEC drive is about a year. Luckily the reliable LG, LiteOn and others are very low cost at such places as Wal-Mart. Or get a Plextor or Yamaha if you want one with long life... but you will pay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.