Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like for someone to perform a little test. Norton AV is supposed to scan inside of RAR files, but mine on several systems fails to do so. Of course, Symantec support is having me install, uninstall, run their registry scrubber, etc. to no avail.

The test is, create a test RAR with a couple of EXE files and one generated from EICAR Test Virus Description. I want to see if NAV can find this file in a RAR file. Mine finds it in a ZIP, but not a RAR. BTW, my NAV is the version that comes with Norton System Works Pro 2003, with all Live Updates applied.

I'm tired of screwing around with the brain dead people at Symantec, so if I can show them that this doesn't work in other locations, they might actually think about the real problem. :rolleyes:

·
hey
10,189 Posts
I've got mcafee on my computer right now, but I'll see if I can't dig up a computer with NAV and tell you what happened.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'm getting tired of the run-around with Symantec. FWIW, I did a clean install of XP-Home on a customer's machine, so I loaded NSW Pro 2003 with NAV and tried the experiment after all the Live Updates, same problem. I am almost sure it'll come up the same way, but I need to have "proof" to slam this clowns. :)

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Believe it or not, I finally got tired of screwing around with their tech support and scoured the Knowledge Base, and found the fix.

It involves a COMPLETE uninstall of all Symantec products, scrubbing the files, the registry, as well as all their parameters in All Users. Everything Symantec has to go.

Then you have to re-install and apply the Live Updates in a specific sequence, it takes about 5 reboots before they're all applied! After that, RAR files indeed work. FYI, here's the page I followed to finally fix the problem. Common Client Error Fix

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.