Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Well I just got myself a router and set it up so that my desktop is plugged into the router (which is plugged into the wall jack) and that way I can use my laptop's wireless to access the internet. Anyways I was thinking of setting up some sort of NAS to back up files from both systems. I don't have a wireless card/adapter (though I may get one).

I was just looking for recommendations in the NAS department.

At first I was thinking of getting this, but after looking into the reviews (there and elsewhere) I'm not sure I will go there.

Thanks

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
I don't recommend that one, because of the special drivers. I have several different network disk solutions running here, and I just ordered this one: Galaxy Metal Gear Box 3.5" USB 2.0 / Ethernet Hard Drive Enclosure for $55 shipped.

I currently have the Hawking HNAS1, but it's been somewhat spotty and needed some cooling help.

I also have a pair of Ximeta NetDisk units in an armored enclosure in the basement with a UPS as my last line of backup. They've worked well, and have good performance, but have the drawback that the Netgear unit has, proprietary drivers.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
One thing to consider is, given the size, if investing in buying (and dealing with) a NAS is what you want to take advantage of network storage, or if you just want a simple hard drive in a cheap ($$, not quality) drive enclosure attaching via USB to your computers for backup once in a while. Think about how much you are willing to pay for, how much you want to pay for, and what you really want to get out of it.

I'm by no means trying to detract you from using NAS, but for you to simply consider. You tend to pay extra for it compared to simple external storage.

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
I find it more convenient to have an NAS for multiple system backups. Also, I have a pair of NAS drives in my basement in an enclosure to hopefully save the last level of backup in case of a fire or other disaster. :smile:

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
True, though if you're simply backing up a desktop and a laptop in a home environment, a NAS may be overkill. Besides that, sometimes you get a little too comfortable, considering how seamless it is, and use the NAS as active storage instead of backup - if the NAS goes down after regular use, well, that was your backup! :grin:

If you are willing to pay the extra dollar for NAS, or really must get that newest shiny, by all means go for it (why not?), but if you are somewhat frugal you may want to think about it for a bit before deciding.

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
Well, this is my home business, and I really can't afford to lose years of work product.

In addition to the NAS, I have periodic backups to a stack of USB hard disks, another networked computer, and I burn a DVD-RW and keep it in my car with critical files on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.