Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have recently built a server running WHS 2011. The mobo have 4 NIC ports.

NIC 1 - Is connected to network / internet and is set with static IP.

NIC 2 - Is connected to a WD Mybookworld NAS Drive with no specific IP settings.

I can access the NAS drive for a short while, but after say 10 mins (sometimes shorter) I lose access and it says it cannot find the drive.

I know its not a NAS drive issue as when NAS is plugged directly into router there is no issue.

I have tried using a static IP for NAS drive but cannot access the drive at all then (have tried default gateways as router and the server ip address). But nothing.

I can't turn off the NAS drive with the power button it has to be unplugged so as if its locked up for some reason.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
TSF Enthusiast
905 Posts
Hi,

You will need to configure the NAS with a static IP which is in the same subnet at the IP on NIC 2.

How do you access the NAS when it is working for 5-10mins?

Maz

·
Registered
94 Posts
That's right, you need a static IP for NIC2 & NAS (same subnet).

Add a host record on any PC need access to NAS box or add to internal DNS record if you have DNS server.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all

Thanks for your replies. I'm still having issues with this NAS drive.

I tried putting the NAS drive on a separate subnet, settings as follows:

NIC 1 (Network)

IP = 192.168.1.254
subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
Gateway = 192.168.1.1 (router)

NIC 2 - NAS Drive

IP = 192.168.2.1
Subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
Gateway - Left blank

I have added 192.168.2.1 to both the NAS drive settings and the adapter. Have also tried only NAS drive and only adaptor. Doing a ipconfig / all shows the adaptor as having 192.168.2.1 but cannot access the drive.

When I type in 192.168.2.1 into a browser, WHS remote desktop login page loads??

If I remove all settings then the drive is assigned a 169.254.35.* ip address, which works for a short while then just seems to lock out.

Sorry I'm not that great with networking, am I missing something very obvious??

·
TSF Enthusiast
905 Posts
Hi,

"I have added 192.168.2.1 to both the NAS drive settings and the adapter"

Correct me if i am wrong but i think you have assigned both NIC and NAS the same address. You cannot assign the NIC and NAS the same address. If your NIC is on 192.168.2.1 then NAS needs to be on 192.168.2.2 for example.

Once this is done go to command prompt and check if you can ping 192.168.2.2 (if this what you have addressed NAS).

Maz

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great thanks, I had to do a hard reset of the WD drive in the end and setup the IP addresses again and so far so good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.