Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a Buffalo Linkstation with a 1TB hard drive inside.

Unfortunately this has stopped being recognised on the network now so I can't get the files this way.

I have taken the drive out and its just a WD 1TB Green HDD.

I have plugged it into a Windows Machine and been to Disc Management but it says it needs to be initialised before it can be used, so I haven't bothered with that.

I believe it must be a Linux file system.

I just need to be able to get data off it as there is not a recent back up.

Can anyone suggest any ways I can do this.

I don't the drive is damaged and it should be readable, I think just something to do with the network bit is no longer right.
Many thanks,
Craig

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there,
Thanks for the reply.

Would TestDisk hopefully enable me to browse the drive as is currently is in Windows?

I have GetDataBack NTFS and FAT and have used this before successfully with Windows File Structures, but I don't think it will work with Linux will it?

·
Registered
40,951 Posts
If you read the instructions in the Link in post #2 you should be able to view the partition and it's files in TestDisk which is a Linux like program that reads Windows files. You will not be able to do anything with them until you Restore them to a different drive.
I have not tried it, but GetDataBack Simple should be able to read a Linux partition. Your lifetime product key should allow you to download and activate: https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm, if that doesn't work try the Runtime's NAS Data Recovery or DiskExplorer for Linux Data Recovery Software Products and Downloads - Runtime Software Products

·
WesternDigital, Representative
158 Posts
Hi there.

You can try the programs that spunk.funk suggested, but if you don't get your data back I would recommend to consult with a data recovery company because the more you use your drive and try to repair/get back the files stored there, the worse the damage may become. Here's a link with few WD partners:

Data Recovery Partners

Hope this helps and best of luck! :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
@craigs85, your NAS most probably has a Linux file system.

I recommend Linux Reader for Windows (freeware):
Access to Ext 2/3/4, HFS and ReiserFS from Windows

Depending on the actual file system, there may be other solutions.

Reiser FS - mounting in Windows:
The HDD Oracle. • View topic - Reiser FS - mounting in Windows

UFS Explorer:
UFS Explorer: Cross-Platform Data Recovery and Data Access Software

Free Linux Recovery for Windows | for Linux:
Data Recovery and File Undelete freeware for Linux files

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.