Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting to service a neighbor's E-Machine. At the log in prompt I enter the password at the Owner account log in and the XP desktop appears momentarily and then the system logs me off back to the welcome screen. There is no guest account.

In any of the Safe Mode options the neither the Administrator log in nor the Owner account are accessible. The Administrator account states there is an account violation and the Owner account accepts the password and does nothing. There is no Guest account listed there.

I had hoped to recover some of their data, pictures, word files and email accounts before using the restore disks. There is no floppy drive on this E-Machine.

Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes - I'm sure.

The older gentleman thought he needed a password so he uses Welcome.
It starts the log-in procedure just long enought to see the desktop and then it logs off (saving settings) and returns to the Welcome screen.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uppercase - Lowercase

I even threw in the staircase. The password only causes the momentary log-in and out when in lowercase.
Strange that nothing happens in safe mode - The screen accepts the password and does nothing. Type in an incorrect password in safe mode and I will get the standard error message.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Was the operating system activated in the timely manner allowed?

The reason Windows logs straight back off again is...

1 - The 30 day Activation "Grace Period" has expired.
2 - The 180 day Evaluation has ended.
3 - You tried to activate on a key thats already in use.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No activation problem

This guy has had the PC for several years. E-Machines come with the OS installed and nothing but a recover disk. I don't believe there is a key activation on these PC - that is all done prior to delivery. The recover disks will put everything back as it was the day he received the PC several years ago.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As it turns out

Geekgirl was correct.
Once a few co-conspirators came forth an admission of a reinstall of XP without the proper activation have been done.
This machine still had more viruses than the CDC.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Glad you hear they spilled the beans so to speak :winkgrin:

It makes your life a whole lot easier Im sure.

Let us know if you need additional assistance when the system get legalized :laugh:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Over 21 and Legal

The spirited grandchildren were the culprits - downloaded some updates from emule - Once I got that Info I distanced myself from this project. The man is reluctant to spring for the legal copy because "they" told him it is easy to obtain cracks for the activation reminder...I am outta there!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.