Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe someone can figure this out...

I always leave my computer on. Sometimes I unplug the monitor from the video card, and when I do this, almost invariably the monitor does not get a signal after I plug it back in. The computer is still on and nothing else changed, but when it has been unplugged from the video card for a while, then plugged back in, it doesn't come back.

Normally a few turn offs and on will fix the problem. This time, however, I have turned it off and on at least 3 dozen times and it still has not come back. The video card fan is whirring fine, but there is no signal to the monitor.

Similarly, there are also no lights on the keyboard or mouse at startup (though strangely, my USB powered speakers ARE indicating that they're getting power--but only from two of my 6 USB ports).

One last piece of info: among my 3 dozen attempts I did get it to successfully turn on one time, but by that time I had started to fiddle with the heat sink on the CPU, and so the temperatures were too hot to leave it on for a while. But while it was on I noticed it was recognizing my keyboard and mouse--like it had to install them again--and only then, after it had fully booted up, did my keyboard and mouse come back.

Anyway, any ideas what the heck is going on? I know the mobo is not being shorted anywhere because I already took it out of the case and put it on my desk...

(By the way the mobo is an Asus P5Q pro)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.