Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a problem driving me crazy. On one of my machines, my Internet connection disconnects for 1-2 minutes, then reconnects, multiple times during the day. The problem seems to occur most often when the machine is first booted in the morning, then seems to stabilize and the problem occurs less frequently during the day. However, in two other situations it occurs without fail: 1) when transferring large amounts of data (e.g. when connected to P2P networks such as Limewire or BitTorrent) the connection will go down every 30-90 seconds, stay down for 1-2 minutes, then go back up; and 2) connecting to a web site which does not respond will also cause the internet connection to go down for 2-3 minutes.

I have 3 machines (Win98, WinNT and Win2000) networked via a D-Link Switch to a Linksys router behind a Motorola cable modem (Comcast).

This problem only occurs on the Win98 machine. I've switched cables and ports on the switch without any effect. When the connection goes down on the Win98 machine, I can switch to either of the other machines and access the Internet without problem. So I'm fairly certain the modem, router and switch are fine, and that the problem is specific to the Win98 machine.

I've run a/v and anti-spyware programs on the Win98 machine multiple times and it appears to be clean.

I think the problem started 3-4 months ago and the only major thing I can recall doing since then is upgrading IE from v5 to v6 and installing all the (many) associated Windows upgrades.

Don't know if this is related, but I think concurrent with the appearance of the Internet problem is intermittent locking up of Windows Explorer. When first opened after the machine is booted, Windows Explorer will freeze for 2-3 minutes, then start working. Sporatically during the day, when I move to a different directory in Explorer, it will temporarily freeze again.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Well, we can't really help with P2P software issues, you should read our forum rules.

As far as the other issues, it could be almost anything. Have you considered doing a clean install of W98? It appears something is corrupted.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.