Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It only started happening two nights ago. I shut down my computer for a totally routine task and when booting up, it failed saying, "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER." I just turned it off and left it alone. The next afternoon, I turned on the computer, no problems. It worked fine until tonight, once again I had a routine restart that needed to be done and once again I got my mysterious boot error. It doesn't seem to be the actual hard drive, because it was working just fine moments before. I thought maybe it was the motherboard or something dying? It is a few years old now; but honesty, I got deadlines to keep here and hardware issues is the last thing I want to deal with!

*sigh* I'm being tempted more and more to visit the apple store. So before I do something irrational, can someone help me fix this problem?

T

·
0 Posts
Hi bpetruzzo :wave:

Your drive is probably dieing, run the manufacturer of the HD's diagnostic boot up tool on it. Back up all relevant data now as it will be lost if the drive dies and it can't boot up. Report back later, telling the results from your diagnostic. Also, if you are looking for an apple I won't be able to help but I heard the Macbook Pro is REALLY good. :smile:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I downloaded the maxtor diagnostic software, but it doesn't appear to be very helpful. Any drive I test just fails the diagnostic in under a few seconds. The software says it ought to take about 60 - 90 seconds for a quick test, and up to 4 hours for a more thorough one. Both just immediately fail. Something tells me that it's not a trustable diagnosis. What else could I do?

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
Hi,

Please post your computer's specifications - including the power supply.
If it's a brand computer - post the model name/number.

Have a look in BIOS under PChealth (or something similar) - what are the temperatures and voltages?

T

·
0 Posts
Also, in the BIOS can you see the drive, is it listed in your boot up options? To add-on to Eneles' post :grin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.