Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing windows 10 home, I logged in with whatever default account there is. I then logged in with my Microsoft account to pull down some settings but then switched over to a local account so nothing else gets synced. Things have since been working fine until this morning.

Now for some reason, my user account is recognized as the built-in admin account and I can not longer run any of the modern apps that I downloaded or those that come preinstalled (including edge). the cmd command

`net users` lists my account as the defaultAccount so at least that's consistent.

I have tried the solution offered here:

Settings can't be opened using the Built-in Administrator account in Windows 10 - Super User

to no success.

I am unable to begin the prompt to create a new user account located in settings > accounts > Family & Other Users

Which brings the to point of me having no idea what to do. I can't create a new account to transition to. I can't give my account the ability to run these apps (which is preferred).

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,710 Posts
Hi, press the win + r key's together in the run dialogue box type:- lusrmgr.msc press OK, expand Users find your account and right click, select properties, what is it a member of? Do you have other accounts?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, press the win + r key's together in the run dialogue box type:- lusrmgr.msc press OK, expand Users find your account and right click, select properties, what is it a member of? Do you have other accounts?
That tool isn't supported on my version of windows. I have windows 10 home.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,422 Posts
OK, at least report the same thing Jenae requested from the Control Panel.

·
26,422 Posts
When you opened User Account in the CP, Jenae also needs to know what else it says. Local Account? Admin?

·
7,710 Posts
Hi, go to start search and type cmd.exe right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" at the prompt copy paste:-

net user %USERNAME% >0 & notepad 0 (press enter) please post the notepad outcome here. Also still at the command prompt copy and paste:-

whoami /all > 0 & notepad 0 (press enter)

Please post the notepad outcome here, it is impossible for the system to change a standard account to a administrator by itself profiles do not work this way to begin the SID has to change ... You may need to post at our spyware forum.. lets see what these cmd's reveal.

·
7,710 Posts
Hi, well that's how it reads for the admin account , so somehow your standard user became the admin account (btw when you first install windows it creates a user account this account is always admin) you need to change this to a standard account.

The fix from super user failed to mention that those mod's only work in pro and above versions , you have Lucked out there, so I would undo them ASAP.

Open a cmd as admin and at the prompt copy paste:-

Net user administrator /active:yes press enter. This creates the hidden admin account

Go to start, shutdown and select switch users, you will see a new user administrator select this, open control panel and change your user account back to standard. If you wish you can then disable the hidden admin account you just created, cmd as admin :-

Net user administrator /active:no press enter, let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay that remedied the error.

Why was I being told that my user account was unable to run applications as the built-in admin when I wasn't running as the built-in admin. Especially because I was not having this issue for over a day over numerous restarts. The issue just showed up.

Also what functionality do I lose out on not being an admin? I'm definitely a bit more of a superuser than the average person, and I imagine I might run into some walls with this. I don't know the last time I've used a standard windows user account on a machine I own.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm beginning to answer my own question. I can no longer re-enable this admin account because of a permission error and of course I cannot give myself admin rights as a standard user which I would expect. Really not a fan of having permission errors as the owner and sole user on my system.

How do I reenable or get access to admin privileges? Because, "run as admin" is definitely not sufficient.

·
26,422 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's the exact same method to enable the admin account to disable my admin privileges. I can no longer execute that command because of a permission error. Yes, I am running cmd as admin.

·
26,422 Posts
What do you see when you go to "Switch Users"?

·
26,422 Posts
Choose the Sign Out option when right clicking Start. I want to see if another account is there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is no other account listed. I cannot enable the admin, I cannot create another account, and I cannot make my account an admin account again.

I also booted from my windows 10 install media to get an admin command prompt which does not display my user account to enable admin rights.

·
26,422 Posts
This is getting confusing. Are you in a position where you have only a User Account and zero Admin. ones?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, that's what I am saying. I cannot log in as the built in admin because it as not enabled. I cannot enable the account because the only accounts I have access to are standard accounts. I cannot elevate myself to admin because I am a standard user.

tl;dr I can, in no way that I am aware, obtain admin permissions on my machine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.