Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a Toshiba Laptop for almost 3 years. It recently started taking a long time to turn on. The screen stays black for about 30 seconds to a minute, then it loads. After it stays black for another 15 seconds and finally the Windows Vista symbol comes out and i could log in. Before it would instantly turn on and load, i wouldn't have to wait that long to log in. The laptop works fine but i'm just wondering if its normal for it to take that long now since its almost three years old.

· TSF Emeritus
25,574 Posts
Hello AwkwardPersona and welcome to TSF,

There are a number of things that can slow down boot times. Most notably are programs that start with Windows and Windows Logon.

Have you recently installed any new programs, anti-virus software or anything else?

· TSF Emeritus
25,574 Posts
If you don't mind I would like to take a look at your autorun entries.

• Download Autoruns from Microsoft TechNet.
    Autoruns for Windows
  • Extract the files from the compressed folder.
  • Right click autoruns.exe and select "Run as Administrator"
  • Once fully loaded, select "File" from the menu bar and select "save"
  • In the Save pop-out, select text from the "Save as file type" pull down menu.
  • Save the file.
  • Attach the text file to your reply.
To attach a file to your reply...
  • Select "Go Advanced" from under the reply box.
  • Select the paper clip icon from the top of the box.
  • Browse to the text file and select upload.
  • Close the attachments box.

· TSF Emeritus
25,574 Posts
Well... You do seem to have a few programs and services starting up with your computer. It is hard to tell which ones are contributing to your slow startup just by looking at the autoruns log.

Before we get into a full on bout of troubleshooting....

Your computer once had McAfee installed on it. Likely from the factory. There are still some components that are installed that I can see. Mostly BHO (browser helper objects). If there are any McAfee components in your uninstall menu, I would uninstall them since you are using webroot. Once they are uninstalled, run the McAfee removal tool. (http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe)

Here is a little reading material for you. It is a short article from MS.
Optimize Windows 7 for better performance

You should run a chkdsk before troubleshooting to be sure that a filesystem error is not causing your slow boot up.

open a command prompt. Press and hold the windows button on your keyboard (usually between Ctrl & Del with the Windows symbol on it) then tap the R key.
In the run dialogue box, type CMD and press enter.

at the command prompt type...
Code:
chkdsk /f/r
Press enter.

The chkdsk program will notify it cannot run and will ask you if you want to run it on the next startup. select Y.

Restart the comptuer, chkdsk will automatically run and correct any filesystem errors that are present.

Once the chkdsk has completed, log into windows and start Autoruns.

1. First, deselect any check-boxes that say "file not found" under the Image Path column. These will remain unchecked.
  2. Then, choose the Logon tab.
  3. Deselect all entries under logon except WRSVC (this is your webroot AV)
  4. Restart your computer.

At this point, does your computer start up faster than it has been?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You lost me there............I think you were saying that i have two anti virus softwares, McAfee and Webroot and that i should uninstall McAfee? Also before troubleshooting to do a chkdsk.

· TSF Emeritus
25,574 Posts
There are running instances of McAfee that are apparent in your startup items.

Yes, run the chkdsk first. This will remove any chance that a filesystem corruption is adding to your slow boot times.

· TSF Emeritus
25,574 Posts
I am sorry for the confusion... It is my fault.

Click the start jewel.
Type CMD in the search box.
CMD will show up.
Right click the icon and select "run as administrator".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.